• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible vs Droid 2

No way. The Dinc with 2.2 is nearly as fast as the Nexus one... and after playing with a Droid X for a while, it's still not as smooth an experience as the Dinc. Not to mention if you root, then we can overclock once the 2.2 kernels are released which will make it even faster.

But at some point, cant they also root? wouldnt they be way faster than us, once we are both rooted?

Upvote 0
The CPU in the DROID 2 is faster period, and the GPU is much better then the Incredible/EVO's/N1/any other 1Ghz snapdragon phone. Can you see a huge difference outside of a benchmarking program regarding CPU is debatable. HTC will always optimize better then Motorola with GUI.

The Galaxy S phones with 2.2 will always be faster then both of them with same setup, and have a better GPU.

HTC is better overall, and probably always will be.

Upvote 0
The CPU in the DROID 2 is faster period, and the GPU is much better then the Incredible/EVO's/N1/any other 1Ghz snapdragon phone. Can you see a huge difference outside of a benchmarking program regarding CPU is debatable. HTC will always optimize better then Motorola with GUI.

The Galaxy S phones with 2.2 will always be faster then both of them with same setup, and have a better GPU.

HTC is better overall, and probably always will be.

Except that the Galaxy is gimped by installing only to slow sd storage.

Seems like no company can really get it right. They have to mess up something.

Planned obsolescence perhaps?

Upvote 0
But at some point, cant they also root? wouldnt they be way faster than us, once we are both rooted?

Unless you are trying to run Windows 7 64 bit.. the speed difference doesn't make a difference for most users.

The X was supposed to be faster then the Inc too but many have reviewed the Inc as smoother. Until dual-core comes out, all of these phones that came out in 2010 can do the same thing just as good as the other.

I wouldn't be making your purchase based on a silly benchmark. Put in more important factors into account like the UI preference, size, keyboard vs non keyboard, display type, internal memory storage, etc..

Reactions: rsarno
Upvote 0
User experience> hardware specs and benchmarks.

Thats a global truth.

Yup. My DInc was smoother than an X before I even rooted it, I would imagine that would be the case with the D2 since they carry the same hardware (GPU/CPU) as the X.

That said, they do throw down some impressive numbers. I don't think there's any question that they will be better for 3D gaming, but in terms of overall usability/smoothness/speed of all the other functions of our phones, the DInc just works better.

Now if only HTC would adapt the Hummingbird to their phones... :D

Upvote 0
I wish more reviewers would upgrade to the pro/advanced version of quadrant. After the weird way the Droid X was getting high scores, it'd be interesting to see what's really going on behind that score.

The D2 is basically the same specs as the DroidX, but already has 2.2 installed, right? So I guess this is what we should expect to see with the DX on 2.2, it's not really different than I'm seeing on my Inc. I've even gotten a higher score before (not OC).

Not impressed...not even a little jealous, lol.

Upvote 0
I wish more reviewers would upgrade to the pro/advanced version of quadrant. After the weird way the Droid X was getting high scores, it'd be interesting to see what's really going on behind that score.

I'll reserve judgement on that score until I either get to use on myself. The droid X's I've played with are no where as smooth as my Inc.

Benchmarks are fun, but even the original droid can destroy that score under the right conditions, but aren't anywhere as smooth as my Inc.

What does the PRO version offer?

Upvote 0
What does the PRO version offer?

Here's a screenshot I took, running on the 7/27 leak.

x3er93.jpg

See how it breaks down the individual tests? The Moto Shadow is the DroidX/D2, you can see that a large reason for it's score is because of it's super high score on the I/O test. Which is the read/write portion of the test. I'm not sure how this affects performance exactly, because it doesn't make the phone or apps more responsive or open super quick, since that's what a high read/write would suggest.

Makes for a nice comparison of other things as well.

The CPU looks only barely higher than the snapdragon processors at 1ghz, though slower than the Galaxy. The 3d score is higher due to it's dedicated GPU, but again, the Galaxy has a better score on the 3d, looks more than twice as high.

This shows too that almost all of the increase from froyo is due to the JIT compiler and other optimizations made to the CPU. You can see other small increases in the other areas as well, like the 2d.

From that score in the OP, I can't tell anything. Judging from the score in the OP, I would guess that CPU doesn't respond even half as well as the snapdragon processors to the 2.2 update...but I can't say for sure, because the score alone doesn't say much.

The advanced version is only $2.99, I've gotten a couple friends to try it out, one with an EVO, and one with a droid X. The advanced version is the same thing, but meant for reviewers as it's license is for use across multiple devices. Because of the license difference, it costs $24.99

Upvote 0
Not really, there just numbers, I recently saw a Droid X in action and swiping through the home screen was awful, it wasn't as snappy and there was lag.

Agreed.

I am a computer nerd, and love benchmarking to see how I am doing. But with something like this, the only bench i care about is the real use. So far, nothing i have done has ever bogged down my DInc. I have filled my home screens, installed lots of apps, and run with multiple programs... i see no slowdown, and am happy with the performance.

I want froyo, but I'm really not sure what can even get faster, given no slowdowns now. People get so wrapped up in numbers and meaningless stats, they forget that the actual use is just as important, and there, the Inc feels as fast as anything else...

Upvote 0
Agreed.

I am a computer nerd, and love benchmarking to see how I am doing. But with something like this, the only bench i care about is the real use. So far, nothing i have done has ever bogged down my DInc. I have filled my home screens, installed lots of apps, and run with multiple programs... i see no slowdown, and am happy with the performance.

I want froyo, but I'm really not sure what can even get faster, given no slowdowns now. People get so wrapped up in numbers and meaningless stats, they forget that the actual use is just as important, and there, the Inc feels as fast as anything else...

I love the snappy dragon. :) Goes to show you, even with Sense, it still runs quick. I just checked out the hands-on Droid 2 video on DroidLife and it has very bad responsiveness. :eek:

Upvote 0
Who cares about the Droid X or XX or XXX. Every phone that comes out will have something more than likely better. Just get rid of the Dinc and keep getting the latest, but not necessarily the greatest, phone to come out. Kind of like the Book of the Month Club. I'll keep my Incredible.

Can someone say "Little Wee-Nee" syndrome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones