• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help incredibly frustrating problem - help needed!!!!

olthefish

Jan 27, 2010
Hi everyone, before I start just want to say any help (as always) is always massively appreciated!

So I've taken a video on my HTC Hero, which is fairly large - around 20mbs. My Hero has 2.1 Android on it according to the firmware information thing on the 'about phone' section.

Obviously the size of the video means I can send it anywhere from the phone so I've been trying to get it on to my computer to compress it or something. Problem is, I cannot for the life of me, for whatever reason, get sync to work.

I've done it before on my laptop, so I went on there in the first instance and the program appeared to be corrupted - it wouldn't open for whatever reason. So i uninstalled it and reinstalled the new 3.0 version. This also would not work it just has 'no device connected'. I uninstalled this version and reinstalled the old version - same thing 'no device connected'. My phone is connected to the computer for sure, it is charging via the USB lead. I've ticked the 'USB de bugging' box too, this has done nothing.

I've installed Sync on 2 other computers in the house and nothing. I have no idea why it is doing this, have I done something, is the phone faulty orrr..? I need this video on my computer and even if there is some random way of getting it on there, I would still like to get sync to work so help me please!!! Thanks!

to be fair no..i've only ever synched a couple of times and that was when i first got the phone in January/February!

Laptop and PC both have XP..there is another PC in the house that I think has 7, should I try that?

And no there's nothing not even the sound from the computer that some sort of external item has connected and failed at least it just doesn't recognise it at all. I had a fiddle round last night and found the default task when connected to the PC and changed that to sync/disk drive from just charge but that hasn't changed anything either..

Upvote 0
Laptop and PC both have XP..there is another PC in the house that I think has 7, should I try that?

You could if you feel adventurous (use the most recent HTC Sync) but I'd suggest concentrating on fixing the laptop connection that worked previously.

there's nothing not even the sound from the computer that some sort of external item has connected and failed at least it just doesn't recognise it at all.
So you see no new devices appearing in Device Manager when you plug the handset in?

I had a fiddle round last night and found the default task when connected to the PC and changed that to sync/disk drive from just charge but that hasn't changed anything either..
By default it should ask what method you wish to use... charge only, sync, removable drive etc. I don't think this is the issue though. I also don't have the Sync client on my own handset (using a non-Sense ROM) so I'm having to do this from memory. :thinking:

Try uninstalling Sync again via Add/Remove programs, and also uninstall any other HTC-related programs e.g "HTC Driver Installer".

Reboot the laptop, and delete the "C:\Program Files\HTC" folder (if it is still present).

Try reinstalling the latest HTC Sync again, but connect the handset to a different USB port to that used previously.

No guarantees, but the above might work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones