[index]My HTC Desire root guides, FAQ's and other works...

1. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

My HTC Desire root guides, FAQ's and other works...

[Desire FAQ's]

[FAQ]Rooting

[FAQ]Internal memory (a2sd+ / Partitions)

[FAQ]Adb and Fastboot

[Desire Guides]
    [GUIDE]Rooting Android 2.2.1 or lower
    (UnrEVOked for Windows)
    [GUIDE]UNroot GSM Desire

[Android Guides]
    [GUIDE]Removing system apps
    (for rooted stock ROMS)
    [GUIDE]Move apps to SD without root (Simple)
    [GUIDE]Create a Virtual machine to boot Gparted, Alpharev etc

[Info]
    [INFO]Kernel info HAVS/SVS/CFS/BFS/AXI/UVOC

[Useful downloads]
    [TOOL]Ultimate dropbox of Useful Downloads (root users)

Contribute to the Ultimate drop box by signing up using this link and you get an extra 250MB. So will we which means more good stuff for you!

[ROMs]
    [ROM-AOSP]dGB#2.3.5#375MB/data#60MB/system

WARNING: Rooting can be dangerous if you do not understand the concepts, risks and procedures involved.

Although we are often at hand to help, you will receive much better help if you have read the FAQ's and guides several times before undertaking the task of rooting. Not only will you understand the possible causes and fixes for issues you encounter, it will also help you to give US the information we need to help YOU!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

Good Index! I hope to see more links here. :)
  3. SUroot

hiya, its just to link to from my sig. I haven't any specific guides or FAQ's to add but taking requests ;)
  4. derekstaroba

derekstaroba New Member

Hello!

I have been learning things as I go. I started off with iphones mainly. I learned about the difference between flashable and non flashable ROMS, Basebands, jailbreaking etc... Recently I purchased an HTC Desire HD (Got a great deal on it) made for Alltel (verizon) that is a CDMA only version. I have so far rooted it and created a back up. I havn't flashed any ROMS yet as I don't want to get too ahead of myself and it is late right now but I am more curious about the baseband issue. As I understand CDMA is considered part of 4g technology but SIM is considered the older 3g technology? That seems weird because SIM seems much better to me and I think a lot would agree. My question is can I flash the ROM for Virgin Mobile so I can use the 25$ plan and save money and how might this involve the baseband?

Thanks so much!

p.s. not quite on topic but I would also be interested in the possibility in installing a SIM card slot for this phone. Do you think it would be possible to take one off another phone and use it that way? Say a cheap phone for example? This kind of thing really fascinates me :)
  5. SUroot

Cdma and gsm are rival technologies. They can both do 4g depending on the phone and network.

Baseband is the radio software. It's just like a driver for the hardware. Gsm radio software won't even work on a cdma device and if it did. It wouldn't change anything to do with what network you connect to.
  6. ajh94

ajh94 Well-Known Member

This is really good Dan :)
    SUroot likes this.
  7. SUroot

Thanks.

I wish there was more to create. I half wrote one on NAND/internal memory and partitions the other day. Halfway through i realised I just didn't have enough knowledge to complete it so gave up.
  8. big63vis

big63vis Member

yeah is tht the link at bottom of your post
  9. ducky1979

ducky1979 Well-Known Member

really good work Dan, perhaps you could post a link for S-Off'ing as lots of people are interested in doing this, and im sure you could provide info on creating themes? as im sure you are a pro by now ;)
    S-OFF link here for anyone who isnt sure!
    Tyseyh likes this.
  10. SUroot

I could add a link to s-off in the rooting FAQ, but its such a simple process.

Theming can be very difficult. If you just want to change icons thats easy. Changing text colours can be more difficult as the locations differ in different frameworks etc. If you want custom animations, gosh forget it.

Its too broad a subject to cover, especially for me :)
  11. ducky1979

ha ha i doubt it pal! :)
  12. SUroot

No it honestly is. I'm barely scratching the surface when it comes to the xml files you need to edit to do stuff.
  13. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

Yeah right...:rolleyes:
    It took me 3 hours + flashing another custom ROM, to S-OFF my "branded" Desire with GingerVillain...:D
  14. burnt_toast

burnt_toast Well-Known Member

could you add the link anyway for NOOBS like me?
    Thanks
  15. ducky1979

here it is pal
  16. SUroot

Actually I'm just going to leave the link thats in there as it is I think. Dont think it really needs a guide. Burn to cd, boot from cd, follow instructions.
  17. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

Then perhaps, just to add that it is advisable to temporary restore the stock nandroid backup with Sens before doing S-OFF. Some ASOP ROMs (like GV v2.1)
    can cause problems for S-OFF.
    Abdur and SUroot like this.
  18. SUroot

Rastaman-FB likes this.
  19. SUroot

20. SUroot

Added:

[​IMG]
    puncha1580 and Flumme like this.
  21. puncha1580

puncha1580 Active Member

SuRoot, Hadron, Rastaman-FB!!!!!!!!!

Thank you no end.
    With your help i could root my HTC desire with unrevoked, took 2 long months researching b4 taking the plunge, helped a friend root his samsung galaxy 3/samsung apollo..i guess in the UK. Yet another friend with an HTC wildfire.

You Guys are pure AWESOMENESS!!!!!

Thanks a trillion.
    SUroot and Rastaman-FB like this.
  22. confused.brit

confused.brit Member

23. SUroot

Download adb and fastboot from step 2 here:

http://androidforums.com/i7500-all-things-root/32481-howto-linux-adb-fastboot-mass-storage.html

And put them in /usr/bin
    confused.brit likes this.