• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Inexpensive, Capable Handset?

The best low cost Android phone I'm aware of on T-Mobile is the L9, unfortunately it runs about $200. I hate to say it, but the only decent phone I'm aware of for close to $100 (you can find it for $120-130) on T-Mobile is the Nokia 521, which is a Windows phone.

MetroPCS (which T-Mobile just bought out) has the LG L9 at $119. Unfortunately, they don't have the $30 plan; instead they have a $40 unlimited plan, but only the first 500 MB unthrottled ($50 for 2.5 GB data unthrottled, $60 for true unlimited). They also have the Optimus F3, which has LTE, for $99 after a $50 rebate.

Upvote 0
You will not get good options with 100. Please try and increase your budget.

Phones that come to mind are the HTC Sensation, Amaze, Galaxy S2. Should get them unlocked and used for less than 150. ;)

Lower end phones that come to mind are the LG Optimus T, and Samsung Dart. You might be able to get them for less than 100 but I could be wrong. I don't recommend getting such cheap phones since they're extrenely outdated lol. But I am typing on a Galaxy S3 so I'm clearly biased lol. :D

Reactions: SEMIJim and tube517
Upvote 0
Thanks for the follow-up "possible" :)

It doesn't need to be a current offering. An older device with which I could BYOD would be fine.

Jim

You will not get good options with 100. Please try and increase your budget.

Phones that come to mind are the HTC Sensation, Amaze, Galaxy S2. Should get them unlocked and used for less than 150. ;)

Lower end phones that come to mind are the LG Optimus T, and Samsung Dart. You might be able to get them for less than 100 but I could be wrong. I don't recommend getting such cheap phones since they're extrenely outdated lol. But I am typing on a Galaxy S3 so I'm clearly biased lol. :D
I have to agree with super, getting a $100 android and expecting to get a good experience on tmo is like buying a rubber raft and expecting to sail to europe.:p

Though you can get the metro branded phone, the GSM versions get them unlocked if required and use them on tmo.

If LTE is available do yourself a favor and get a phone that has it. LTE is WOW.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with super, getting a $100 android and expecting to get a good experience on tmo is like buying a rubber raft and expecting to sail to europe.:p

Though you can get the metro branded phone, the GSM versions get them unlocked if required and use them on tmo.

If LTE is available do yourself a favor and get a phone that has it. LTE is WOW.

+1! :D

It's hard but not impossible. Do the metro gsm phones run on T-mobile's hspa and lte network due to the merger? That would be great news! :)

Well, did my homework. The HTC Sensation looks like a pretty good phone and it looks like I might be able to get one or two w/in budget. Thanks for the lead, SuperAfnan.

I was going to go with Motorola Defy Plus handsets. I really, really like the ruggedization. But I fear the screen size won't suit.

Jim

Use the thanks button, it's free! :)
I recommend you get the amaze over the sensation if you can since the sensation has puny ram. The amaze has 1gb of ram, and a beast camera!

I can vouch for the Amaze. And the S2 and Sensation are great phones under $200. I have great coverage in my area and my Amaze was blazing fast (using Super's ROMs ;) :D)

Some other considerations: Samsung Galaxy Blaze 4g and the HTC MyTouch Slide 4g

Did you try the newest aroma installer editions yet? Aroma is making my life easier lol, as well as everyone else's life easier!

Upvote 0
+1! :D

It's hard but not impossible. Do the metro gsm phones run on T-mobile's hspa and lte network due to the merger? That would be great news! :)

Use the thanks button, it's free! :)
I recommend you get the amaze over the sensation if you can since the sensation has puny ram. The amaze has 1gb of ram, and a beast camera!

Did you try the newest aroma installer editions yet? Aroma is making my life easier lol, as well as everyone else's life easier!

Yes, the new Metro PCS phones that are on their website appear to be GSM and work on T-Mobile's network, in fact they seem to just be a Metro branded version of phones T-Mobile sells; the CDMA network is scheduled to be taken offline in 2015.

The Optimus F3 is a great deal right now, it is an LTE phone for $99 (after $50 rebate, must remain Metro customer for 2 months). The Optimus L9 is also a nice phone, though no LTE, but is $129 after a $30 rebate.

Reactions: SuperAfnan
Upvote 0
Done!

It's only 768MB vs. 1GB. Okay: A 33% or 25% difference, depending upon perspective, but still... And the camera... well.... for a device like this I have other priorities, such as battery life. The Amaze gets nicked for poor run-time, whereas the Sensation gets kudos for good run-time. I like run-time :)

Thanks for the suggestion, tho.

Looked at the Samsung Galaxy S Blaze, too. As expensive as the Sensation, and I think I prefer the latter. At least on paper :)

The big, really big question is this: Aside from Motorola, of which there's not much to choose in the GSM world, right now, who has the best radios? ISTR HTC used to pretty regularly take hits for poor radio performance?

The other question is structural robustness. I'm careful, but we all fumble, occasionally. A 6 foot drop to concrete--okay, I'm probably looking for a new handset. But what about carpeting? Linoleum floor? Wood? The Sensation got high marks in reviews for its structural build robustness. That's important to me.

Speaking of radios: I really like that HTC's handsets have FM radios. My health club has rows of TV monitors in front of the groups of cardio machines and broadcasts the sound for each on FM radio frequencies. May sound inconsequential to most users, but it adds to the device's utility, for me.

Jim

Well actually that ram difference is huge. Unfortunately, apps like to become hogs and steal the ram space so watch out! On my amaze I barely got 400mb ram free on a bloated stock rom, 500mb on deflated roms, and 300mb with a bunch of apps running (real world use). I have seen free ram that only goes up to 200mb on good days on the sensation! Expect 100mb free ram if you get the sensation.

You could clear this issue up by rooting and what not then get swap space, but I dont have time for that. :p

Yes just get an amaze, s2, or sensation. HTC phones are pretty much tanks but please get a tpu or multi layer case from online. Also get a screen protector. It has been proved they can actually stop the phone from shattering!

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
Well, okay, but it looks like it's moot? All the adverts I'm seeing for Sensation 4G's all say "1GB".

Mission creep! :p Went from $50-$60, to "around $100," to "around $150." I'm drawing the line there. Partially because, if the test succeeds and I stay with T-Mobile, this'll be the handset I keep.

I know a lot of you are going to find this an odd attitude, perhaps even heretical ;), but I think $150 is a lot of money to spend on a glorified phone handset that has a relatively short lifespan.

Jim

Trust me, in the real world you'll only get less than a third of the ram you were promised. The sensation doesn't have 1gb, the amaze does. The sensation has like 800~ish but they come down to 300 free, 200 free for the sensation. This is on stock though.

But yeah 150$ is enough for a phone unless you're rich. If people are starving in Somalia you'd realize you're lucky to be born American. :) (Or at least in a 1st world country.) Plus politicians don't want to fix the economy so............

I still recommend the Amaze over the Sensation. It also has HSPA+ so you'll be getting faster data than the sensation. Who says you can snipe an amaze for 150$? I bought mine for 180$, in February! It has to have plunged somewhat by now.

Upvote 0
*shrug* They're all listed as "Storage Capacity: 1GB"

ETA: Ah, I see. 1 GB storage, 768MB RAM.

There was something... price, construction, whatever, that I liked better about the Sensation. It's moot, now, anyway: Last night I bought a Sensation :)

Thanks for all the helpful guidance, to you and everybody else.

Jim

Congrats! I suggest you root it to get the best out of the phone.

Upvote 0
What does it use for internet, 3G? I see Walmart have that phone for Tmo also. I'm still confused on what services will it run for internet.

Thnx.
The L9 uses HSPA + 42. which is what t mobile has called 4G, because its just about as fast as 4G speeds, however its really advanced 3G. maybe 3.5 or 3.75G.

The walmart plans throttle all but I do not know what point they throttle to.

I know if you get a good signal on tmo 25+mbs down and 3 up are possible.

Upvote 0
The L9 uses HSPA + 42. which is what t mobile has called 4G, because its just about as fast as 4G speeds, however its really advanced 3G. maybe 3.5 or 3.75G.

The walmart plans throttle all but I do not know what point they throttle to.

I know if you get a good signal on tmo 25+mbs down and 3 up are possible.

The L9 is only an HSPA+ 21 phone, but you should still be able to get speeds as high as 12 Mbps down.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones