Inferior parts for new Incs?General

Last Updated:

1. jbjagold

jbjagold New Member This Topic's Starter

I, along with many thousands, are waiting for our backorder to be filled for the Incredible. In HTC's/Verizon's haste to fill these orders, what would be the possibility that cheaper, less quality parts will be used to fill the void? For example, if a shortage of displays is holding up the production line, would they put in a display that was not originally part of the design specs?

Just wondering.......

Advertisement
  2. patkicks10

patkicks10 Well-Known Member

no, they wont put an iphone display on ur DINC...

XDaydreamerX11 and ryanx27 like this.
  3. Kushtronics

Kushtronics Active Member

0% chance.

4. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

no they wont bc then someone would find out and then they would get a lot of bad press

5. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Well-Known Member

I highly doubt it, if anything it seems us early adopters are seeing the most voice quality problems. Personally, I'd prefer a later production run where they probably ironed out some early issues.

Besides, doubt they could make the back cover any cheaper than it already is. :)

6. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

I'm going to go with 3%. It's possible they'd lower their defect standards or accept inferior components. Possible but extremely unlikely.

7. thepro8

thepro8 Active Member

I work for a semiconductor supplier. There is a shortage of parts right now. That's probably why there is a long delay. Manufacturers like HTC will not substitute parts for lower quality ones. It just doesn't work that way. It would take a complete redesign which isn't worth it.

8. x0x

x0x Well-Known Member

Zero chance, not going to happen.

9. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

+1 to what the pro said. HTC is a high end manufacturer and won't use sub par parts, which would just end up costing more in the long run to replace and in bad publicity. Also, the entire tech industry is reeling from a shortage in electronic components as manufacturers try to increase output after demand dropped so much in the past 1.5 years.

Be patient, it will be worth the wait.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk Pro.

10. Ruben

Ruben Well-Known Member

You know, you can tell yourself that if you wait 3 months you'll get a better phone. Buy hey, ill just have the same one 3 months before you.

11. secretLOVER

secretLOVER Well-Known Member

Not going to happen. Not only are there contract bids to make certain components, theirs extensive testing done with exact parts.
    I've worked electronics for 11 years now from component level up (navy (I and o strand AT) and now building, troubleshooting, repairing, and engineering predator UAV's) and it doesn't matter if the resistor is the same value, it may not work as good or the same as the original brand used over time. They're not going to roll the dice.

12. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

There has not been enough time to iron anything out. The ones shipping today and for months will be exactly as the ones we are currently using now. A hardware revision won't happen for at least 6 months after its launch. Thats just a plain fact with electronics. Once they are in full production mode its hard to stop the train.

13. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

What dude said. They've been producing phones for a very long time. 2 weeks aint gon produce miracles.

It is what it is.

14. Chomsky1

Chomsky1 Well-Known Member

Not only does this not make sense, but how would you even know that you had "inferior" parts w/o tearing the phone apart?

15. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

No but they are installing better ones.

16. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

The troll is back. Everybody duck and cover!!

Divine_Madcat and necosino like this.
  17. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Why hasn't Trident banned you yet? Didn't the community chase you out with torches and pitchforks twice already?

18. lmbgm

lmbgm Well-Known Member

without know how HTC operates, it is hard to know, but unlikely.

Usually it is down to the part number typically and many times there are a list of alternate parts that can be used which are compatible.

However, lets say the display is from copy X and part number is XYZ. HTC can order the display from this company, but who knows if the company has decided to change something in the design without changing the part number. This kind of thing happens all the time to reduce costs. However, usually it is to fix something or improve something.

So I would say you are likely getting at least an equivalent quality. However, there have been times, a change has been made and something unexpected happens.

Also, if the workers are being rushed, that could reduce the quality of work.

I have had parts come in under the same part number that operate better at high temperatures but worse with EM interference.

19. Ovy

Ovy Well-Known Member

considering the item in low supply is the AMOLED Screen, people will notice if it isn't the AMOLED screen. it's a selling point. it's a feature. it's a reason you buy the phone. It would be like shipping it without the snapdragon -- it just wouldn't be an Incredible. It'd be an Eris...haha.

20. syntrix

syntrix Well-Known Member

21. Legobricke

Legobricke Well-Known Member

The issue isn't a replacement of parts to something else...

But, how well are these phones being put together due to the rush to get them out?

I can imagine that Verizon may be seeing a higher rate of bad phones until this get's ironed out...

Certainly, with the release of a new Droid coming up soon, when will we see customers jump over the Incredible to something else...?

and can you imagine the Millions of dollars spent to promote a phone that no one can get a hold of??? When a new Droid goes to market, consider most of the money spent on Incredible promotion to be flushed due to not having the product.

Lego!

22. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

I would assume this is where quality control would play a role, no?

23. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Since the holdup component is the AMOLED screen, which is probably one of the final parts of assembly, I doubt it will be a big issue. Slap the screen in, connect the interface, and snap the whole case together. Any issues with these steps would easily be caught by a QA.

I'd be more interested to see if the quality of the AMOLED itself has changed due to Samsung being in a rush. Maybe faulty pixels during early use or something along those lines.