• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Infinity Jelly Bean coming soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the reasons I will be getting an Infinity is because ASUS goes light on the UI overlay. This means fast updates compared to typical devices. This announcement was expected but is still great news.

And remember, Jelly Bean contains Project Butter. We're going to see very smooth UI interactions with this update.

Upvote 0
One of the reasons I will be getting an Infinity is because ASUS goes light on the UI overlay. This means fast updates compared to typical devices. This announcement was expected but is still great news.

And remember, Jelly Bean contains Project Butter. We're going to see very smooth UI interactions with this update.

I'm very happy with my Infinity for this reason too. Going forward, I'll only be getting a nexus smartphone as well. I've had 2 HTCs and 1 Motorola. They both lay it on thick with the UI garbage. Hell, my HTC Rezound just got ICS yesterday, think of how long (if ever) it will be before Jelly Bean comes out for it. I really wish these companies would stick to the hardware and let Google take care of the software.

Upvote 0

Yeah, PB&J (B) make for a great combination :p

I do agree that the UI on this thing is very light, comparatively speaking. Seems that at least one company has a mind to do things correctly, huh?

That's why I don't plan on unlocking bootloader. I'm DYING . for jelly bean.

Thanks for mentioning this - I was debating on whether I should unlock or not, and if this is a reason to not unlock, I am all for it.

I'm very happy with my Infinity for this reason too. Going forward, I'll only be getting a nexus smartphone as well. I've had 2 HTCs and 1 Motorola. They both lay it on thick with the UI garbage. Hell, my HTC Rezound just got ICS yesterday, think of how long (if ever) it will be before Jelly Bean comes out for it. I really wish these companies would stick to the hardware and let Google take care of the software.

My Moto BIONIC has a very nice streamlined Blur that runs great on ICS. I know that previous version of Blur were very heavy and resource intensive, but the Blur on the RAZR and BIONIC are a lot more lightweight than before, and made them almost tolerable on a 1.0 GHz clocked CPU running GB. When the ICS leaks came out, I stopped putting alt launchers and running ROMs b/c the Bluer on ICS is much more responsive and smoother than ever before, and I'm one of the unlucky ones that has yet to see an OC - I'm still running at 1.0 GHz on the leaks.

However, other than a mini lag when waking it up, this tablet is infinitely smoother than my phone....

Upvote 0
Thanks for mentioning this - I was debating on whether I should unlock or not, and if this is a reason to not unlock, I am all for it.

I'm not 100% familiar with the way OTAs work with Asus, but I'm fairly certain that JB will be available for unlocked devices pretty soon after the official release. The guys at XDA are going crazy waiting for JB, so I imagine that, once it gets released, there will be flashable versions with the day. Especially seeing how Asus releases their firmware to be downloaded off their support page.

And I just checked XDA. Apparently there's an OTA out since the 16th, but it's not Jelly Bean

Upvote 0
Minor delay in the jellybean ota. They need to add a keyboard firmware update before pushing it out. Should be ready early next week.

Of course. This is why I honestly would prefer they didn't announce these things and then one day I could just wake up and have a nice little upgrade message on my Infinity. Now I will be all bent out of shape waiting for this thing. Grrrr.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones