[INFO]Firefox Beta - Not Compatible! - Read whyGeneral

Last Updated:

1. AlexMason

AlexMason Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The Firefox Beta for android is NOT available for LG Ally. Now that i told you that you are probably thinking "BS mozilla wouldn't do that to use there must be some way!". Your correct, but first let me tell you why it will not work. The Firefox Beta available by the big download button on there site is not available because it is for the ARMv7 processor as stated by https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android#System_Requirements but it is available for our ARMv6 processor by their unstable nightly builds. I did not even get the nightly build to install but you can try for yourself.

EDIT:
    I did get the nightly build to work for my phone! You need to make sure you dont have the original Firefox Beta apk installed then install fennec.apk for ARMv6 processor

Thank you,
    alexmason

Advertisement
  2. Leogorath

Leogorath Member

Unless they get the size down a bunch, I doubt I'm going to go with Fennec anytime soon. 40MB is a little back-breaking for my tastes, even installing to SD. Still, it's nice that there IS a version compatible with the Ally, for those who are interested.

3. AlexMason

AlexMason Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yes but considering the features and a2sd included with velocity i didnt have a problem installing it.

4. Leogorath

Leogorath Member

I'm thinking that the main reason size is such a catching point for me is that I'm not seeing any particular advantages in using FF over one of the more common (and much smaller) browsers.
    Sync seems nice, since I use FF on my desktop, but it doesn't strike me as a must-have feature.
    Am I missing something about FF Mobile that makes it a step up from something like Dolphin or (shudder) the stock Browser?

5. lightningdude

lightningdude Well-Known Member

I tried it out, but it was really, really slow. I'll wait for a stable release.

As far as the advantages of using Firefox, I'm sure it's just the name. I mean, it looked like it had a little bit more functionality, but then again, I haven't used Dolphin.