Info for a potential buyer

Last Updated:

1. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone.
    My brother's up for a contract renewal, and of course, I'm pushing him onto the Android bandwagon.

I took him to the Verizon store to look at the current offerings, and he seems to like the Droid X. I have the incredible, and he says it's too small for him, so I thought the Droid X would be perfect, since it's practically the same phone, just bigger (with minor hardware and software differences).

Anyway, he is trying to convince himself that it's the phone for him, and I was wondering if you guys could help him out. What do you love about your X? What bugs you about it sometimes? Did you switch to or from a different android phone for a reason other than an upgrade? If so, why?

Most importantly, how's the battery life with the stock battery? Do you recommended getting an extended battery, and if so, which one?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Aggie12

Aggie12 Well-Known Member

Oh man. There is so much I like about this phone. The big screen is great for browsing and texting. The camera is amazing and with apps like vignette it makes the camera even more fantastic. The phone is crazy fast even when stock. But to really let the phone loose I'm running fission 2.1 and the battery life is amazing I can go all day and only be down to about 50%. I really don't have any bugs that really annoy me about this phone. It has done everything I've wanted it to do and I'm sure there is more that it can do that devs will find. I came from an LG Dare, and that phone was just a joke compared to this device. I currently do not have an extended battery and my battery life is awesome as previously stated.

3. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

+1, great phone, the best hardware that Verizon has to offer right now

4. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

when in doubt always go with the best hardware.

5. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

Mainly screen size and speed. Internet browsing is a dream compared to my previous 2 phones (LG Dare and Droid Eris). The Android OS is so flexible. I've used Android for almost a year now, and I'm still amazed at what all I can do with it (apps, games, customization, etc)

Had to think real hard about this one. My only gripe is I have to reboot the phone maybe every week or two. Sometimes things won't work as they should or have in the past, and a reboot will almost always fix those issues. This isn't a big complaint cause I've read of may BB owners who reboot almost daily. It's a complicated piece of electrical engineering.

Switched from the Droid Eris, mainly due to lag (slower processor). The X virtually eliminated this issue. Have been VERY happy with the X since I got it on day one. Also, with the Eris I could only install about 40 apps due to memory limitations. The X has 8Gb of build in memory for app storage. I've got maybe 160 apps installed and I'm nowhere close to filling even half the storage.

VERY happy with the battery life. I usually take it off the charger about 5:30 in the morning. By 10pm battery level is usually 30 to 40 percent. Of course if I use the GPS, watch YouTube videos, or play extended sessions of Angry Birds it will have a huge impact on the battery life that day. But under normal usage (a few calls a day, texting, web browsing, email) it will last all day.

6. skywriter

skywriter Member

I formally used the moto droid 1. Change to the x for the screen size and processing speed. I liked the original droid, I LOVE the X. Web browsing is fast and easy. Watching TV using free app - tv.com or paid app - jetflicks is heavenly. I use live wallpapers and they have very little impact on the battery life. As recommend in one of the many tips and tricks I read, I reboot my phone almost daily. I would recommend this phone for anyone.

7. apinkel

apinkel Well-Known Member

I just picked up the X about a month ago.

I chose it for two primary reasons... it has the best phone (good speakerphone, earpiece and really good mics) of any top end android phone I could find. Secondly it has the best battery life out of the top end androids.

The only serious complaint I have is that the stock email app is bad when trying to sync with exchange accounts. I highly recommend switching to a different client if you need access to exchange based email accounts... like improved email (free) or touchdown (paid).

The other thing I would add is that motorola's software is not as good as HTC's sense UI. The email client is not as good, the dialer is not as good, the homescreen widgets and the launcher are not as good. However, there are work-arounds for all of the software issues (i.e. email client listed above, dialer one, launcher pro and various widgets in the market).

I chose to go with the X because I can find work-arounds for the software issues but I couldn't fix hardware issues on other phones (GPS problems, so-so reception or phone call quality, poor battery life, etc.).

8. cap10mark

cap10mark Well-Known Member

I am enjoying my X because of the screen size. I just love this device!

9. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

-Screen
    -Good for people with big hands
    -Swype is wonderful.
    -battery life is good. Not great, but plenty for a day's use. Couple of days if you don't use it much.
    -Apps are pretty good. I wowed a few people last night by showing them there house with Street View.
    -Generally works well with a few glitches here and there(normal stuff for a smart phone).
    -signal is generally very good(depending on where you live of course).
    -GPS directions are awesome.
    -'Tune In' Fm radio app is incredible.
    -Games are decent to good, not great.