• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Info on phone operations

Looking at purchasing Desire HD or iPhone4 but need some user info :thinking:

The main thing I like about iP4 is you can set the font size in txting so it's larger when you type and when you read txt's, also the way the phone displays the txt history like you would read email each preceding message is display to read if needed green bubble (i think) for received white clear bubble for sent, does Desire HD do this ?

Alarm function can you set it for ... once / daily / mon - fri / mon - sat / sat - sun / except holidays ?

Does the phone have sleep function so you can listen to the radio / player for a set time frame, also alarm to wake to the same ? I know the iP4 does.

I also wont to use the WiFi to connect to my wireless modem (4G Vivid home base unit) so as to surf the net via phone without being charged to death.

There is more to ask but after days off reading searching I can't remember @ the moment, but the about are the main must haves.

I'm using LG U990 @ the moment and it was good until my eyes decided to get worse, only use my glasses for reading small txt, and using the LG now I almost need the wear them hence needing large fonts.

Thks for you help in advance

Greg

Hi Greg,

Been lurking here for a while, learning about my new phone, but welcome to my first post :)

The default SMS app on the phone doesn't let you change the text size (as far as I can see), but you may be interested in 'Handcent', which is a replacement SMS app available for free in the Android Market. See its website here - the screenshots show the green and white bubbles you talk about, and a setting for text size.

The default alarm app lets you configure different alarms to go off on any combination of days of the week. Each alarm can have a different alarm sound, which can be one of your music files but can't be the radio. I can't find an option to exclude holidays. You can name your alarms, and the name pops up as the alarm is going off. I find this quite useful as I'm basically useless first thing in the morning, so I name my alarms after the time of the train I'm supposed to get that day :)

The default music / radio apps don't let you set a sleep time.

The phone supports wifi, and will use it in preference to any mobile data network, but if you're concerned you can manually turn off mobile data in the phone's settings or via a handy homescreen widget. I'm not familiar with the 4G Vivid home base unit I'm afraid (I'm from the UK), but I've not found a wifi hotspot that my phone won't talk to yet (incl. my home, family, work and some public ones (though I tend not to use public ones as my mobile data allowance is quite generous)).

One thing to remember is that if the phone doesn't do exactly what you want, there is probably an app in the Market that will do it for you. With things like the SMS app, this is more true for Android than for the iPhone because the developers have more of a free rein when it comes to notifications and so on.

I had an iPhone 3G before this, and I know quite a few people with iPhone 4s. The screen on the iPhone 4 is smaller but quite a bit clearer, and as you've already hinted at, the software does seem to do 99% of what most people need. The Apple mantra of 'There's an app for that' rings true for both phones though, and Android apps can integrate with the base phone functions more. I guess what I'm saying is that they're both very good phones - I'm very happy with my Desire HD, but I reckon I'd be just as happy with an iPhone 4.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks Fretnoise,

At least I can tick 1 thing of the list of must haves that txting apps looks like it's exactly what I needed, couldn't really see much off the font sizes but should be good.:D

i used to use 3 for internet but with <1.0 mpb download speed the bank times me out before I can log in with 4G I get 4-7 mpb now it's way quicker.

Thks again Greg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones