• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Info on Tablets

andygu3

Android Expert
May 24, 2010
Lewis Center, OH
Interested in getting a tablet for Christmas this year. Wanted to get a wifi only tablet. I haven't done much research just yet but I wanted to get the general feeling of the community before moving forward.:)

Any suggestions are welcome but more than likely I would be using the tablet for Google music, reading books to 7/1 year olds, helping in homework style things for the 7 year old. Just trying to keep it interesting for her.

Money isn't necessarily an issue;)

I like my Acer A500. It'd easily do what you need.

Although, if you're doing the whole kids thing, a bigger screen might be better for the picture books. If the kids are going to hold it, I'd recommend something lighter. A Galaxy Tab might be good for that. The Acer A500 is relatively heavy, so I'd recommend against one for that reason.

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
I've had the wifi only Galaxy Tab 7" for several months now and still love it and depend on it.

There are bigger and "better" out there.. but it's a real workhorse for me (rooted and de-bloated ;)).

I love the smaller size of the thing compared to iPad, etc.

Cool, that's good news about root. I know at some point in time I would do this but I'm still deciding whether or not this will be a deciding issue. Being rooted has changed my decision making about buying a phone so I'm guessing I should make sure I could root it down the road:)

I like my Acer A500. It'd easily do what you need.

Although, if you're doing the whole kids thing, a bigger screen might be better for the picture books. If the kids are going to hold it, I'd recommend something lighter. A Galaxy Tab might be good for that. The Acer A500 is relatively heavy, so I'd recommend against one for that reason.

Yea, I'm sure the 7 year old wouldn't have any trouble holding it but weight could definitely be an issue though. Obviously, I don't want her to drop it.:eek:

Thanks guys, I'm in the beginning stages of doing research and since things like this aren't cheap, I should be out and about this weekend and getting a feel of the size and weight of tablets.

Upvote 0
Not got one but I really like the Asus Transformer because it allows you to have the netbook form factor which can be incredibly useful for homework, research etc in a relaxed way. You can sit back and use your little tablet to do it. Of course there are other ways to get tablet keyboards but the Asus Transformer is the one that springs to mind.

Upvote 0
Any thoughts on the galaxy 10.1? It's kinda between this and the iPad2:eek::)

One way to get thoughts on a device you have not had the chance to play with is to have a look at the forums for that particular unit:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Android Forums

I like to find "bugs in common" type of things users are dealing with, along with other remarks by enough of them to be seen as a consensus.

Upvote 0
One way to get thoughts on a device you have not had the chance to play with is to have a look at the forums for that particular unit:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Android Forums

I like to find "bugs in common" type of things users are dealing with, along with other remarks by enough of them to be seen as a consensus.

Thanks for the link:D

Got to play with the 10.1 at Costco, not a fan of touchwiz but otherwise I like the weight, feel and look of the tablet. Now, time to go and try out the iPad:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones