Information regarding security.

Last Updated: 2012-01-26 12:27:04
  1. RawrDinosaur

RawrDinosaur Member

Hey guys,

Sorry for a really wierd post, however i'd like to understand a little bit about the whole gaining access to a device. Recently i've received a couple of phone-calls it's apparent my telephone number was stolen from a friends contacts list (BlackBerry device).

I am the proud owner of a HTC Sensation XL, however, I am curious to how my number was discovered, and how safe my device would be? Not only this but since my email accounts are stored on my device, including e-mails/invoices with addresses on and such, i'd just like to ensure that my e-mails cannot/haven't been copied (theres a very legitimate reason for my concerns).

I was hoping this community could share some light on "phone-hacking" if you like, and how easy it is, perhaps any security measures I could potentially take to increase security into the device :S

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I can't really ascertain what you are asking and what blackberry is to do with anything.

You can't hack a smartphone using a phone number. Not for a direct attack. I suppose there is a possibility that something malicious could be sent embedded in mms but I don't see how....

Email is different. If they have your email address the could send something but you would have to explicitly allow it so basically you cat be attacked by anything you do not allow to install and grant permissions to.
  3. RawrDinosaur

RawrDinosaur Member

OK the phone has been hacked, it appear the SIM has been hacked into.

I called my friend, who said he saw my name/number on the screen but it went off before he answered it. At that point someone answered the call, and it was the nutjob who i've already blocked from my phone because some how he got my number from this exact phone hacking incident.

1. Do i need a new handset (also i have a HTC Sensation XL) The BB is the curve.

2. I will be getting a new sim card; as if my friend.

3. Could/Does anyone have any advice for this situation.

Thanks,
  4. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

The only way they'd realistically be able to hack your SIM would be to physically have access to the phone. Has anyone had an opportunity to physically have access to your phone for an extended period of time?
  5. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Well-Known Member

Yeah, almost sounds like they may have swapped out the SIM cards... which doesn't sound like much fun... :/
  6. RawrDinosaur

RawrDinosaur Member

Thanks guys for your help, at the moment I'm on the assumption that it's virtually impossible to hack into someones' SIM without physical access to it (Please correct me if i'm wrong).

I apologise for what might be seen as stupidity, but i'm just slightly concerned. I know the person responsible is located in Chichester. I know this by entering their area code into the BT Directory, this is because the very first encounter of this person I was called by a land line which was not witheld.

I think it's probably best if I explain the whole scenario a briefly as possible, whilst keeping the facts intact. I've been receiving nuisance phone calls from this person every now and then for roughly 5 days. I've had two voicemails both 3 minutes long each. He's clearly not going to **** off.

I have been informed by a couple other friends, they too have received phone-calls from this person.

I eventually blocked the telephone number from my phone using specific software. However I called my friend yesterday night, the phone rang over for about 30-40 seconds before being answered by this weird person. The call lasted 30 seconds until I learnt who was on the end of my intended call I hung up (He then tried t ore-call my phone which cancelled the call).

During this time, my friend told me his phone rang and he saw my name/number on his phone but before he could answer it went off. He also told me he was unable to return my call, and even send SMS messages. This was around the time the person still had access to my friends phone.

Could anyone help me understand if a SIM or SmartPhone can be exploited? Specifically the BB Curve and my Android (HTC Sensation XL).

Thanks
  7. linuxrich

linuxrich Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but which provider are you with? (I assume UK as you mention BT and Chichester...)

The reason I ask is because if it's O2, there has been a breach recently. I'm with O2 my self but have as yet to see anything untoward going on.
  8. SUroot

Basically it appears to me that some or all of the SIMs have been spoofed. How, I do not know.

I recommend all effected should get a New SIM card AND a new PHONE number.
  9. RawrDinosaur

RawrDinosaur Member

mm I see.. It is also the UK.

Assuming I collect a new SIM/Number. I'm just concerned my phone is going to be monitored by this strange person, I also just want to be sure that my contacts aren't on the receiving end of one of his conversations.

Thanks for your help/guidance it's much appreciated.
  10. SUroot

He can't be monitoring your actual device if it is phone numbers he had obtained. Perhaps he spoofed the numbers.

If you don't want to do this on your contract without knowing it wont work, use a free PAYG SIM for a few days and see if the calls stop. DO NOT call your friends OR LET THEM CALL YOU as he is receiving those calls and you calling them will give him your new number.

If after a few days, nothing has happened, you all need to get new SIMS and Numbers at the SAME TIME and none of you should contact each other on those new numbers until you ALL HAVE THEM!..

Sorry for the caps, just emphasising :)
  11. RawrDinosaur

RawrDinosaur Member

I agree that's why i'm here now, because the only way for this to work is for us all to have a new SIMS and numbers.

One final thing that has just crossed my mind, on my HTC I have an "o2 Sim" app, containing a button "Get Settings". I have no idea what this option does, but it's failed twice and advised i call o2 Customer Services.
  12. SUroot

I wouldnt expect it to be relevant.
  13. RawrDinosaur

RawrDinosaur Member

Didn't think do, but I think it's better to be safer than sorry. Thanks for your help!

(p.s. I too am a big Linux/Ubuntu fan by the way).
  14. SUroot

I'm a convert, as I needed it to compile android source code. But now I use it for day to day too.
  15. RawrDinosaur

RawrDinosaur Member

I just install the ubuntu (11.10) -- gnome-shell irssi chromium-browser vim and nerd_table and thats me all set-up and ready.

But; again thanks to everyone for your advice and input.