insane data usage--3.5 G in 3 days, wtf??General

Last Updated: 2013-03-10 21:04:22
  1. djpdx

djpdx New Member

My wife took a short weekend trip to California, and brought along her new Nexus 4, running Jelly Bean. She did the usual thing people do on trips while hanging out with her mom--went out to eat, saw some tourist-y things, went on nice walks, hung out with her nephew. She took some pictures with the phone, used the web a bit (but nothing crazy), checked Facebook etc. Sort of the same stuff she'd do at home. Didn't download books, movies, or anything like that. When she got home last night and checked her data usage, it showed that the email app had used 3.5 G in the past three days! I'm completely baffled how this could have happened. Anyone have any advice to offer? Thanks! Everything else was pretty normal, but email was off the charts (despite not sending any huge files in email.)

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Does she sync photos with G+ or Picassa or Instagram (or anything like that?) That could gobble some serious data if not monitored.
  3. djpdx

djpdx New Member

Possibly with Instagram (but I don't think so), but the strange thing is that the app usage was attributed all to email, not to Instagram (or anywhere else). If photos were synced, what app would be responsible for the data?
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

It could show up under the app itself or the gallery, but if you see a lot of email activity, it could be that sync'ing is responsible.
  5. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

I had a similar - but nowhere near as huge - issue with the e-mail app on my Desire. I wound up drastically reducing how often and how much it sync'd.

Haven't had that problem with the N4, though. Is she using the stock app?
  6. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Use T-mobile... Unlimited 4G data. I average about 15GB a month, and 3+ GB in a weekend isn't that uncommon depending on what I'm doing. I never worry about data usage though :cool:
  7. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Does she have anything stuck in her outbox? Maybe something with attachments? I've seen a lot of people have that happen and the phone will continue to try to send it over and over again.