• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Insane left-wing extremists to ban goldfish, circumcision

So tell me which states have an officially sanctioned religion. Do not tell me about states where a predominant religion is considered the defacto "state" religion, but a state that has an official state religion. And please, not some old examples from early in our founding, but current states with a official state church.

I'm not sure what your problem is, but have you ever heard of "past tense"? I said "DID have state religions", not "DO have state religions".

Upvote 0
Again, this means there will be no state church; that is, congress shall make no law establishing the Catholic Church as our official religion. And it definitely means that Congress will pass no laws that prohibit any religion.

Exactly. It says Congress, as in the Federal Government. Until the 1890's and incorporation the Bill of Rights didn't apply to the States.

Upvote 0
Exactly. It says Congress, as in the Federal Government. Until the 1890's and incorporation the Bill of Rights didn't apply to the States.

This isnt't the 19th century, though.

The United States Supreme Court has incorporated the Free Exercise Clause to the several states via the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment.

Upvote 0
Circumcision should be banned. It is genital mutilation, plain and simple. We don't allow it to happen to women, and while I am aware that it is not the same thing, we should not allow it to happen to boys either. If you want it done have it done when you can decide for yourself.

Stoning to death is a religious belief/practice. We don't allow people to do that either.

Upvote 0
Point out to me where I said states are doing this currently.

You brough up the fact that the 1st Amendment was not applicable to the states over 100 years ago like that argument would hold merit in a court of law today.

And I would like to point out that execution by various methods is legal and is performed by the large majority of states as well as the federal government.

Upvote 0
Circumcision should be banned. It is genital mutilation, plain and simple. We don't allow it to happen to women, and while I am aware that it is not the same thing, we should not allow it to happen to boys either. If you want it done have it done when you can decide for yourself.

Stoning to death is a religious belief/practice. We don't allow people to do that either.

You bring up an interesting point: why should circumcision be allowed and not stoning? Well, until you learn that stoning to death is murder and murder is not allowed in the US of A and I think God is against it.

Circumcision is a tough one because it is mutilation (some say) of a child. Why not child tattoos or binding the feet? Allowed/demanded by some cultures and to many, quite abhorrent.

So where do we draw the line? Plenty of religous beliefs you cannot practice due to laws.

Or perhaps tend to our own gardens and forget the silly things people do that we disagree with.

YouTube - ‪Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy‬‏

Upvote 0
You bring up an interesting point: why should circumcision be allowed and not stoning? Well, until you learn that stoning to death is murder and murder is not allowed in the US of A and I think God is against it.

Circumcision is a tough one because it is mutilation (some say) of a child. Why not child tattoos or binding the feet? Allowed/demanded by some cultures and to many, quite abhorrent.

So where do we draw the line? Plenty of religous beliefs you cannot practice due to laws.

Or perhaps tend to our own gardens and forget the silly things people do that we disagree with.

YouTube - ‪Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy‬‏

That's exactly what liberty is about. It's about the freedom to do whatever the hell we want without outside interference as long as nobody else is being harmed.

Upvote 0
That's exactly what liberty is about. It's about the freedom to do whatever the hell we want without outside interference as long as nobody else is being harmed.

You say they shouldn't outlaw circumcisions. Then you say this about freedom to do whatever the hell you want without outside interference as long as nobody is being harmed. What about that baby's rights? Anyone ask him if he wants this done?when the parents uses their freedom to choose to have the procedure done. Does that not hurt the baby? So right there the parents choice should be stopped. Let's see you cut some skin off of yourself and tell us if it hurts or not. I would of liked the choice to choose myself.

Reactions: DoAndroidDream?
Upvote 0
You say they shouldn't outlaw circumcisions. Then you say this about freedom to do whatever the hell you want without outside interference as long as nobody is being harmed. What about that baby's rights? Anyone ask him if he wants this done?when the parents uses their freedom to choose to have the procedure done. Does that not hurt the baby? So right there the parents choice should be stopped. Let's see you cut some skin off of yourself and tell us if it hurts or not. I would of liked the choice to choose myself.

In all 50 states and the District of Columbia, a minor's parents have complete control of their child's medical decisions, except for abortions in certain states.

Upvote 0
In all 50 states and the District of Columbia, a minor's parents have complete control of their child's medical decisions, except for abortions in certain states.

those same 50 states can also take away parents right just as quick. But you said it yourself you can do what you want just as long as it doesnt harm another. It's harming the baby with an unneeded surgery.

Upvote 0
those same 50 states can also take away parents right just as quick. But you said it yourself you can do what you want just as long as it doesnt harm another. It's harming the baby with an unneeded surgery.

Wrong! Parental rights can only be terminated via due process of law. The parents aren't harming anybody other than those who are under their legal custody.

Upvote 0
Wrong! Parental rights can only be terminated via due process of law. The parents aren't harming anybody other than those who are under their legal custody.

Well what did you think I meant when I said the state can take it away? Of course the courts:rolleyes:. So by saying its ok to harm a child as ling as its under the parents care. Then you are for child abuse.

Upvote 0
Well what did you think I meant when I said the state can take it away? Of course the courts:rolleyes:. So by saying its ok to harm a child as ling as its under the parents care. Then you are for child abuse.

Nice logical fallacy, but you are wrong again. Child abuse is a relatively well defined legal concept that doesn't include widely performed and accepted medical procedures.

Upvote 0
Nice logical fallacy, but you are wrong again. Child abuse is a relatively well defined legal concept that doesn't include widely performed and accepted medical procedures.

So tell me what medical purpose does circumcision serve? Does it prevent cancer? What about blood clots? Or is it the dreaded hide and go seek? The surgery provides no medical benifits. Why not just remove the appendix as it serves no purpose being in the body but can kill you if so bad. So why not remove that?

Upvote 0
So tell me what medical purpose does circumcision serve? Does it prevent cancer? What about blood clots? Or is it the dreaded hide and go seek? The surgery provides no medical benifits. Why not just remove the appendix as it serves no purpose being in the body but can kill you if so bad. So why not remove that?

A medical procedure need not have a medical benefit for a person to get it. Circumcison is a key tenent of the Jewish faith, and that alone makes it worthy of protection. Cosmetic surgery is stil surgery and is not illegal, and that includes circumcision.

Upvote 0
hmmm.. agree with it now?

No Child should have unnecessary surgery until they are of an age where they can decide themselves.
Hopefully genital mutilation becomes illegal for minors.

Are you insisting that I have something against Muslims and that I want to ban Muslim religious practices? I was quick to stand in opposition of the banning of Shariah law and the wearing of burqas.

The 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution prevents any of these things from being banned in this country.

Upvote 0
Are you insisting that I have something against Muslims and that I want to ban Muslim religious practices? I was quick to stand in opposition of the banning of Shariah law and the wearing of burqas.

The 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution prevents any of these things from being banned in this country.

wrong

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

it says congress cant, says nothing about the states

Upvote 0
wrong

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

it says congress cant, says nothing about the states

You are wrong, by friend.

Have a read here:
Incorporation of the Bill of Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The case Cantwell v. Connecticut incorporated the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment against the states.
Cantwell v. Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones