• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root inspire, unlocked, rooted, s on, boot issue

imchilean

Lurker
Jan 23, 2014
hello all,

I have an htc inspire, about on my 5th one(warranties and insurance), so im not new to rooting them. I have an issue that has me stumped.

It's bootloader is unlocked, it's rooted, but of course without aahk, it still s-on, which is no biggie, you just flash boot img after flashing rom..

I can boot the stock rom, backup the stock rom in 4ext, and re flash it, and it boots...

Also whenever I try to install any new roms from the xda list, roms i have used before, and flash boot img, via fastboot(s on), the phone will start and load the new rom, and the rom runs awesome with no issues.

Nows where it gets tricky...

If I turn the phone off, or pull battery, or if the phone shuts off for any reason, it will not boot unless I re flash boot img via fastboot. Once I reflash boot img, it boots fine and everything works great and the rom boots and nothing within is lost. Then if I shut it off, pull the battery, ect. the boot is gone.

Its like once it is off, it is erasing its boot img.

Then, if i boot into recovery and flash backup of stock rom/boot img, it boots. I can cut it off and on and it will boot, but its the stock rom i dont want because its just flashing the backup...

I am lost and out of all of the inspires I have had, s on or off, I have never had this issue.

I have looked through many forums and have yet to see this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

That's a very strange issue indeed. What command are you using to flash the boot image?

Could be a hardware issue,could even be some sort of software issue,with write protections not being removed as they should be from the boot partition,so the new boot image is never permanently installed.

My recomendation would be to set s-off and see if the issue persists. You don't need the aahk: http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=5660944

Upvote 0
i will give s off a go, i have been looking everywhere for a newer guide for s off.

here is the cmd line i use to flash boot

open cmd from the folder that has the extracted boot.img

Boot phone to bootloader and select fastboot

type cmd code

fastboot devices (wait for device to show to ensure connection)

the run cmd code

fastboot boot boot.img

it will reboot the new rom and run fine. Also, if i have done this previously, nothing like files or apks or apps are lost within the rom once its back up.

then if i turn the phone off, boot is gone and to restart it, I have to flash boot..

Strange thing is, I can restore stock rom/boot and it will boot, i can turn it off and on and it boots no issues.

I will give your link to s off a go and flash a rom from there and see if it helps.

thanks very much for the suggestion and help!

Upvote 0
working on s off, but for now, your cmd has fixed my issue. im not sure why but the inspire i had right before had s on and i used that fastboot boot boot.img and it always worked..different device, different in some way i guess, but either way, you are the man!!!

will have s off in no time thanks to your link to other thread!

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
S off was a mess and I thought the phone was gone for good, lol. I don't consider myself a newbie to this, but by no means a master of all things root, lol..For some reason in following the directions for s off, everything went smooth as butter, then it gave me an error, an error that the thread said was due to improperly made gold card...I unlocked the bootloader again and got the heck outa there, lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones