• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Instability, network issues post OTA

dm33

Android Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2010
I've run some pretty serious testing today of capabilities of the Thunderbolt. I've been very impressed with the function, but in both cases caused problems for the phone and likely the tower its connected to.

In the first test I ran a hotspot with an Apple TV and a Macbook connected to it. I was very impressed that the TB works fine as a router. I was able to stream HD content from the Macbook to the Apple TV with no issues. Netflix also worked fine on the Apple TV using the Thunderbolts hotspot.

That test successfully passed. I turned off the hotspot and put the phone down. A while later, I missed a call. The Thunderbolt had apparently shut itself off or crashed and didn't restart. After powering up it was ok.

In the second test, I was on a phone call using bluetooth and surfing the web over 3G all at the same time. Very impressive, everything held together. At some point I noticed that the phone had lost data connection although I was still on my call.

After the call, I have been completely unable to regain network connectivity. I've tried switching mobile network off/on, airplane mode on/off. I've rebooted the phone. After a second try powering off the phone, then back on, I've been able to get 1x, but no 3G.

My theory is that I may well have crashed the tower transmitter. This may not be so unlikely given the instability Verizon has had that caused them to shut down 3G for the Thunderbolt for 24 hours. I hope they fix it. I'm going to be relying on the Thunderbolt as my only network connection for the next 3 weeks. It will be essential for my business travel.

I've verified it is a tower problem.

Seems possible that the Thunderbolt caused it by using simultaneous voice and data. They would certainly warrant postponing LTE phones/rollout.

I was in the middle of my call when I could no longer use 3G data.

Thinking it might be the tower, I got in the car and drove down the street. Several miles down the road, the Thunderbolt started picking up 3G again. I did a speed test, 500kbps, not great but 3G. I turned around and headed home and quickly dropped all data network connectivity. I was able to drive around with the test mode showing signal strength and proved the tower I thought had the Verizon radio indeed does have it. I drove back home. The phone eventually switched to 1x. But still no 3G hours after the incident.

I've called it in to Verizon. I'm surprised they can't detect the transmitter is down and automatically reset it.

I can't tell if all 3G is down or just the 3G the Thunderbolt uses.

Upvote 0
If you want to find out dial ##778# then edit password is 000000 then modem and then rev a and select enable.

Thats normal 3g that non LTE phones use.

I tried the various options with LTEOn/off and nothing got me better than 1x.

Now around 9pm, 3G has come back. Seems like they reset the tower. I didn't do anything to the phone.

Update:
I've tried voice and 3G data again and can't cause a failure. Maybe the tower happened to have problems while I was using it.

Upvote 0
Seems possible that the Thunderbolt caused it by using simultaneous voice and data.

No, your phone didn't cause this. It's simply a tower that is having other issues and the timing is purely coincidence. The fact that is it having issues will cause you to notice any number of funky problems. hopefully now that is it back up you will not see any other issues.

Upvote 0
The towers around me have been having similar issues the past few days...sucks when data drops out for no reason. I called into Verizon and they told me that they had many complaints about the data service with the thunderbolts and eHRPD network. Funny thing is I notice it on RevA also. Oh well, Get your crap together Verizon...Strong signal my arse

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones