• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Install Alternate Browser HC V4

ghodzilla5150

Android Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2010
San Bernardino, CA
How do I go about installing an alternate browser (Skyfire, Dolphin, Miren or Opera Mini) on the NC. I am running deeper-blue's Honeycomb V4. I have Marketplace and Google Apps installed BUT for whatever reason none of these browsers show up in Marketplace when I search for them. The reason I want to change is because the Stock Browser uses Mobile view (unless I type in About:Debug in the address bar to change the UAString to Desktop). I don't want to have to do this everytime I reboot the NC. I like Skyfire because it's options for the Desktop User Agent is better. I have a Skyfire .apk and know how to use ADB. What's the command(s) to add an App (Skyfire) to the NC via ADB? Thanks

Nevermind. I figured it out via the Nook Color Portal. Just use adb install (name of .apk). That was easy. I now have Skyfire:)

Just for future reference, for others that may have this issue, other than adb, you can install apk's through a file manager system.

If you have Linda Manager, ES File, or similar, you can search the internet and find the APK you desire, put it in a folder on your SD card called APK, and browse to it from your phone's file manager. You can install that way as well.

Also, you can edit your build.prop file, this will allow said apps to be shown in the market. (PLEASE NOTE I HAVENT TRIED THIS WITH HONEYCOMB, DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, works fine with Froyo, shouldnt be a problem.

Open the file with a Linux friendly editor (Notepad++ for the Windows users). Find the line starting with ro.build.fingerprint and change the whole line to

ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2.1/FRG83D/75603:user/release-keys

Read more: http://nookdevs.com/NookColor:_Nookie_Froyo_Tips#ixzz1G9noQHMX
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones