• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Install android fonts on xt720

Lowry76

Lurker
Jan 18, 2011
Hi all,

my girlfriend bought a motorola xt720. Seems to be the US or the GB version. Since she bought it I try to figure out how to install japanese fonts. I am not talking about japanese input. I am aware of Simeji and other Apps for input. But the font itself is not supported: emails, web-pages, sms in japanese are not supported at all although I read that Android 2.1 does it out of the box. So I guess for US or european version the east asian language pack was removed.
Does anyone know how to (re)-install the language pack and where to find it?

Thanks,
Lowry

No ideas anyone? I mean I'm totally new to android/smartphone OSs but absolutely not new to unix. As far as I understand it the font should just be some kind of file I have to put into a particular directory, right? Can't be that no one has done that or knows something?

Appreciate any help,
Lowry

Upvote 0
Hi, Lowry. I had the same problem with my xt720, and I found the solution.
In two words, you must find and download DroidSansJapanese.ttf file and copy it to your system directory /system/fonts. Sounds simple, but in order to have write access to /system/fonts directory, you must have root access. I managed to do this with Universal Androot application (to gain root-access), and Root Explorer app (to copy file, can be found on Market).
Universal Androot can be downloaded from here: [APP] [ROOT] 1-click root for N1 (Latest ver: 1.6.2 beta 5) - xda-developers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones