Install APK installer without market

Last Updated:

1. mpg187

mpg187 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to install Astro File manager without using the market? Because if I would need to install APKs in a situation where I don't have access to the market (No Internet access, etc.) I would need to use Astro File Manager and if I didn't have it installed I would need a way to install it without using the standard way of using the market...

Plus, it would save me bandwidth to install it from the SD Card each time...

Advertisement
  2. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

Settings>Applications> check "unknown sources"

In astro, there is a backup tool that will backup all your installed applications to your sd card. To restore a app from astro, you'll need the above setting activated anyways. But why would you have astro not installed anyways?

3. mpg187

I can install APKs with Astro, but I am saying if I didn't have it installed and didn't have a network connection.

The reason I ask is say if I format my phone (When I updated it last time it deleted all my apps and settings, so luckily I had my APKs on my Micro SD).

4. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

Are you wanting to root? Is that why you are needing to save the actual apk to the SD card?

5. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

I want to know also how to install my apk's without Astro cause when I upgraded my Moment to 2.1, my market showed up as empty and I had no way of installing my apps because I needed to install astro (or titanium backup) first.

Eventually I figured out a way to get the market to show apps but if I didn't, I was screwed.

6. mpg187

7. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

If you have the apk on your desktop, you can use adb to install the package via the install feature of adb.

8. mpg187

Does that require root access? I don't know much about ADB, I Googled and it said it was some kinda debugging thing...

9. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

No, it does not require root. The only thing you need to do, on the phone end, with adb is ensure USB debugging is activated under the Applications settings(this may vary depending on phone model).

10. mpg187

What do you run on the computer side?

11. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

adb. You download the latest version with the Android SDK provided by Google.