• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Install clean android system?

snorkerz

Lurker
Dec 30, 2012
I have just acquired a Jaiyu G1 running Android 2.3.6.

Unfortunately, it can not download any apps and after quite a while with the Amazon Appstore help-team it appears that the OS has been modified and is now unstable.

Whenever I attempt to download an app I get
Sorry!
The application Browser (process com.androd.browser) has stopped unexpectedly.
Please try again.
[Force close]

I have a second (chinese) browser on the system which seems to get the same error - not sure because the dialog is in chinese. Have tried to download a different browser, but can't because I can't download!

I am totally new to Android, so although I am well versed in IT (my heritage goes back to DOS 5), I am looking for a relatively simple fix. I have no idea what 'rooting' is or any similar terms, so be gentle with me.

It would seem that if it were possible to install a clean (un modified) version of Android Gingerbread that would be the simplest version - simply dump the existing buggy install. However, if that is not practical, any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones