Install MY apps from SDCARD...HOW?Support

Last Updated:

1. GTbrewer

GTbrewer Well-Known Member

I'm just getting into app development, and cannot get the virtual device working on my
    computer (and it would seem that nobody can tell me why). I am, therefore, trying to
    install stuff I've written (so far, just Hello World, but I have other things in mind, too)
    from the SDcard, but the phone tells me that *MY* app is from an untrusted source,
    and cannot be installed. I trust myself. How do I bypass this insanity?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

You need to go to Settings >> Applications and tick Unknown Sources. Then you should be able to install any .apk.
  3. GTbrewer

Ok, I have these under Applications:

Manage applications
    Running services
    Development
    Double tap home launch

Under Development, I have the following:

USB debugging (checked)
    Stay awake
    Allow mock locations (checked)

I'm still getting the same error message. There HAS to be a way...or AT&T is going
    to get an earfull from me......
  4. Xyro

Well, the option has always been there on the firmwares I've tried, but I've never used a Moto Blur device. I think you're best off waiting for the response of another Bravo owner.
  5. GTbrewer

Ok, thanks...I'll do that. While you're here, is there a forum for asking questions (e.g.,
    my question about trying and failing to get the AVD working---it does one of four
    things: 1) disconnects; 2) drives the CPU to 100%; 3) hasn't loaded Hello World
    after several hours, or 4) gets close (loads HOME, displays an error about not having
    a network connection, and then the console says it failed to load the apk)? Specifically,
    a forum where newbies are more welcome? I've noticed that a lot of people have READ
    my questions, but nobody has answered. I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should be on
    another forum, e-mail list, Usenet newsgroup, or (?).......

Suggestions?

Thanks.
  6. Xyro

I don't think it's a case of not being welcome, it's more likely that nobody has had an answer to your question. You might want to post on XDA as well as here, to increase your chances of someone replying.
  7. GTbrewer

I JUST found the answer! I don't know how I missed this before, unless it was a result of the
    various things done to my vision by cancer and brain surgeries due to cancer, but either way, I
    DID see it this time! THE answer (which I just confirmed does work) is online at
    http://theandroidsite.com/2010/03/11/how-to-install-non-market-apps-on-your-motorola-backflip/

Hello World is now installed on my phone. Naturally, I'm going to remove it...but I tested it, and
    it works! So now, I can say forget the non-functioning AVD, and just develop for 1.5 and test
    on my phone. I could then ask others (I found an app for doing exactly this) to test it for $1.....

Now to learn and experiment with Java. I have some simple apps in mind that shouldn't take
    too much to learn, and can advance from there. :)

Thanks again.
    Xyro likes this.