• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

install to SD?

sort answer ... YES

but depending on the phone you have .. how you can get it done..

Android 2.2 can do it ... it is built in. only have to go into application management and tell it to do it.

older versions... you have to ROOT your phone.. and then use a ROM that has support for Apps2sd.. partition the sd card.. etc etc....

... go to the sub form for your phone.. and search / read more there.

Reactions: pirate.pete
Upvote 0
Running 2.2 and don't know where to go to tell it to automatically put the apps in the SD card. I can go to each program and tell it to install in the SD card but I can't find a setting to do it automatically.

i have the HTC Hero.. on CM6 2.2 ROM.

i have the option to set it automatically. I thought all 2.2 have this, guess I was wrong.

Upvote 0
Even when using a Froyo, applications need to be preset in their installation locations when being edited by app developers at first. Thus we need every application to be updated for a new attribute allowing installations on external media, i.e. SD card.

In a word, applications with no preset in installation locations will not provide option for transferring.:D

Upvote 0
Even when using a Froyo, applications need to be preset in their installation locations when being edited by app developers at first. Thus we need every application to be updated for a new attribute allowing installations on external media, i.e. SD card.

In a word, applications with no preset in installation locations will not provide option for transferring.:D

that is what i hear...
but.....

back in older android versions.. I used apps2sd.. and they moved fine.
now on 2.2.. i have not seen 1 app.. that i installed.. not able to be moved to sd!

Upvote 0
It is up to the developer to allow the app to be installed on the SD. There has is a preset permission for it.

The following apps will go into SD if you got Froyo

Google Earth
Google Shopper
Google Sky Maps
Google Translate
Google Goggles
CNET
Reuters News Pro
Layar
Dolphin Browser
Dolphin Browser HD
Twidroyd 4.0
Opera Mini
Opera Mobile
Angry Birds
Onion News Network
Move2SD
Apps2SD
WordPress
VPlayer Alpha
MixZing
Advanced Task Manager
Evernote
Galactic Core Donation (great living wallpaper)
Pulse News Reader
Movies by Flickster
Twitplus

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones