• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Installed 2.2: Can you root the Dinc now?

SecretSexyNinja

Apr 8, 2010
I just installed my 2.2 update on the incredible. Now that I've done that, is there a method available yet to root 2.2 on the incredible? I know its only been a few days and am not sure if it its possible yet. I do know some ppl have been able to keep root while upgraded from 2.1 to 2.2 but from stock 2.2 is it available yet?

the way i did my OTA and got root back is this: (simplified version)
- install unrevoked 3, and unrevoked forevor (s-off)
-wait for OTA message
- click install later
- reboot into recovery
- do nand backup
- find and download stock 2.1 recovery zip file
- find and download (to a different location) clockworks mod zip file
- place stock 2.1 recovery file on root of sd card
- reboot into hboot
- hboot will ask to install recovery update
- click yes
- reboot back to OS
- wait for OTA message
- click install now
- wait for 10-30 minutes while phone does OTA update
- place clockworksmod zip file onto root of sd card (overwriting/deleting the 2.1 stock zip file in the process)
- reboot into Hboot
- when asked allow hboot to update recovery again
- reboot phone
- uninstall any old super user program you had on your phone
- install this new one using the information on this link
[APP] Superuser 2.3.5 - Now on the Market [2010-08-28] - xda-developers

you should now have wonderful froyo with root !

Upvote 0
That said, hold out hope. The unrevoked team is hard at work on 3.2 which should work on the official 2.2

this^^^

Also so for the brave at heart there is a guide over at XDA
(google "xda guide incredible 2.2 to 2.1")

This guide supposed WILL take you from stock 2.2 (no root or s-off) back to 2.1 (I looked at it, its far more complicated then most of the root processes)

From there you can follow the stock 2.1 to rooted 2.2 guide that can be found on these forums.
http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/162100-stock-2-1-fully-rooted-froyo-2-2-a.html

I've personally used the above and found it excellent

Upvote 0
When Unrevoked first came out with the simple one click root I used it to root my phone. This morning when I woke up I had the update notification on my screen. I chose the remind me later option, but why did I get the notification if I'm rooted?

If you didn't install a custom ROM, then the updates are not blocked. What killadanny was referring to, is that when most devs make their ROM's they block updates from even coming to your phone, since it would break if you tried to install.

Upvote 0
Okay. I think I follow. I'm still a noob when it comes to this type of stuff and I'm a bit intimidated by it. Think I'll just keep on ignoring the update and wait it out until Unrevoked saves the day like they always do. Thanks again

that update notification will get really annoying though...
do yourself a favor,
do some research: then..
do some nand-backups and restores to get used to how it works, and then see how you feel

phone state at this time in my process was unrevoked 3.0 and unrevoked forevor (s-off), on stock 2.1 no OTA leaks or custom roms at all.

the first time i tried to install the OTA i did a nand-backup and then rebooted and clicked install now.
when the phone failed to install it and i rebooted back into the system it no longer said i needed to update. (i freaked out a little)
but when i restored from my nand-backup the phone went back to wanting the update again.
you could use this process to make the update notification go away while you are waiting.

Upvote 0
that update notification will get really annoying though...
do yourself a favor,
do some research: then..
do some nand-backups and restores to get used to how it works, and then see how you feel

Yeah.... the notification has definitely gotten annoying. I've already made a few nandroid and titanium backups so I'm familiar with how to do that. I just haven't restored anything yet aside from apps using titanium.

phone state at this time in my process was unrevoked 3.0 and unrevoked forevor (s-off), on stock 2.1 no OTA leaks or custom roms at all.
Like I said earlier, I used the original version of Unrevoked when it first came out to root with the simple one click method. Is there a need, or would I be better off using Unrevoked 3.0 ? If so what's the best way to go about doing that? Do I have to unroot then reroot using 3.0?

the first time i tried to install the OTA i did a nand-backup and then rebooted and clicked install now.
when the phone failed to install it and i rebooted back into the system it no longer said i needed to update. (i freaked out a little)
but when i restored from my nand-backup the phone went back to wanting the update again.
you could use this process to make the update notification go away while you are waiting.
I might just end up doing this to shut the notification up.
Thanks again. I appreciate the help!

Upvote 0
okay great, that's exactly what i wanted to know. Thanks guys! And I'll go ahead and wait for a 2.2 root to come out. Now that I've upgraded I don't want to bother with going back and then doing it all over again. I have the flashlight, app access on the SD and better battery life already (what I really wanted) so I can wait :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones