Installed Apps Vs. Downloaded Apps.

Last Updated:

1. jamesmce

jamesmce Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone noticed that when you install an application manually vs a downloaded one from the market it doesn't update when a newer version comes out?

Anyone know why?

Advertisement
  2. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Well-Known Member

i am pretty sure its because it is not connected with a market link. someone correct me if i am wrong, but apps will only update if you dl them from the android market.

3. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

^^^ this is correct to the best of my knowledge.

4. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Off-Market apps CAN be made to check for new versions and alert you to their availability, just like many apps do on computers. Tasker is an example of this. My guess is that most developers choose not to implement such a feature, probably due to the programming effort required, as well as the back end services that must be maintained for such a system to operate.

In the case of apps distributed via the Android Market, the Market "system" (being a combination of Google's servers and the Market app on your Android device) takes care of all that. This is one of the benefits that developers get by distributing via the Market. But for paid apps, a sizable chunk of an apps purchase price goes directly to Google.

How would Google's servers or the Market app know anything about the availability of an update for off-Market apps?