Installed FRG22 Deodexed, then upgraded to Smoked Glass, and got a new notifcation today

Last Updated:

1. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Yup, it's true. After having upgraded to Smoked Glass, I had it on my phone for no longer than 30 minutes when I was hit with a new OTA notification.

I have already downloaded the file, and it is FRG01B again. The difference, though, is that, instead of patching a ton of files on the fly during the install, which is how the old one worked, this one simply formats \System and then copies the entire contents of \system from the .ZIP to your phone.

Be that as it may, it looks like I *somehow* got a notification for a full ROM update from VZW.

Again, like I said, it is FRG01B - but the good news is that this is a full ROM, and for those having issues with the previous one, which makes sure you have ESE81 (2.1) installed on your phone, this one does *not*.

Theoretically, I should be able to install this over any previous version of Android - which I am about to test right now.

I'll post more when I have more info.

Advertisement
    Pfilly likes this.
  2. vr6dubbin

vr6dubbin Well-Known Member

Edit: read post wrong

3. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan Well-Known Member

Sapphire V1 is running so well for me I can't imagine going with a vanilla rom. But it's good to hear the rollout is on.

4. johnlgalt

OK, I have verified this with Peter Alfonso. This is an all inclusive update to FroYo build FRG01B from all versions of Android that came on the DROID - 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.1.

Basically, if your phone has anything pre-FRG01B, the new OTA that was pushed out (at least to me and one other person) will replace *all* pre-2.2 builds with 2.2.

It's pretty simple, too - it simply wipes your \System partition, then copies over the new \system from the ZIP file. It is pretty fast too.

I verified this by using RSDLite 4.7 from Peter Alfonso along with the ESD20 SBF file (The original 2.0 that came on the DROID back in Nov when I got my phone), and then immediately, without activating, booted into recovery and let it run the update - and I now have a nice, virgin 2.2 (FRG01B) OS on my phone.

Before I go any further, many many thanks to Peter Alfonso for all of his work, research, and advice when I was testing this to make sure my theory was correct. Without him I'd still be scratching my head saying to myself "Ok, now that I see the big old exclamation point, WTF am I supposed to do?" - among other things.

We had a nice long discussion about what this file does, and how it works, and he agrees (or, perhaps I should say I agree with *him*) that this file will upgrade 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.1 to 2.2 FRG01B. It contains 2 different scripts in it, that Pete supposes allow it to be used with the stock recovery, SPRrecovery and Clockwork Mod.

This is the set of files you can use.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/54jg831t63o1shy/9046f5a3ec09.signed-voles-ota-45394.zip

Watch Pete's blog at Peter Alfonso for more (and probably better thought out) information on this.

5. orton0384

orton0384 Member

Now if I have the broken Trident 2.2 can I install this to "fix" the old one? And proceed to install the FRG22 I have been having issues with?

6. johnlgalt

This file will not update (Froyo) 2.2-based phones.

The only way for that to happen would be for you to revert to an older ROM, anything that is not FroYo based, and you should be able to install.

This is a virgin, untouched ROM (aka Odexed) ROM - IOW, it has not root, no busybox, etc.

This is the exact file as it was passed to my phone via VZW this afternoon (OK, well, yesterday afternoon).

7. patch

patch Well-Known Member

Very interesting find!

The one thing that is puzzling and I'm wondering is why did you get the OTA notification if you were already running FRG22, which already is a (later) Froyo build??

I have a theory (unfounded at this point) that this is meant to go out to all "official" firmware to get them all 100% identical -- maybe there was some inconsistencies with the different versions of OTA that have been going out between 2.0->2.0.1->2.1->2.2... I guess the easiest way to verify would be to install the 2.1 SBF, then "official" 2.1 to 2.2 OTA that many of used last week to update to FRG01B. Then try the this new "full" update.

Besides that (I'm not sure if this possible since it's only /system) maybe this a way Verizon is trying to "unroot" all phones if they install the OTA?

8. johnlgalt

This new full update will not work once you use last weeks OTA update. The script specifically looks at what you currently have running....

But in other respects I think you're thinking the same thing I am - this is to bring all 2.2 users up to 2.2 regardless of which previous OS they have installed....

9. DakotaGuy

DakotaGuy New Member

I went ahead and did the original 2.2 update that Trident posted. Since then I have had quite a few issues. My phone always has to reboot a second time before it starts to work right and Google sync doesn't always work. There are other minor issues as well.

With that said do you think this new full update that you received will help me? Second it looks like the only way I can use it is if I revert back to an older stock version like 2.1 correct?

The last question I have is do I need to rename the larger newer file you posted as update.zip like I did before. I probably should have just waited on the official update from Verizon, but I didn't and now I am just looking for a way to make my phone run right without rooting it.

Thanks for your time.

10. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

John was the the exact file name of it when you pulled it off your phone?

11. jdsingle

jdsingle Well-Known Member

You will have to revert back to an older version since it will read that you are on 2.2. Yes that is correct.

12. DakotaGuy

DakotaGuy New Member

Thanks for the advice. I reverted back to stock 2.1 and then applied the update. The phone still had issues so I am just going back to stock 2.1 and waiting to see how the whole 2.2 OTA works out. If my phone is faulty and won't work with any update then I want the actual 2.2 OTA before I take it into Verizon.

The networking just is not working on mine and it is causing the sync to freeze. Back on 2.1 Update 1 everything works great.

13. Rotorpilot

Rotorpilot New Member

Here's an install solution for those, like me, who manually had already installed last week's FRG01B update/zip:

Simply install EASY ROOT, available for 0.99 from Unstable Apps - Mobile apps for a mobile world

Then run EASY ROOT to ROOT your system and do nothing else. Note, I was previously not rooted, and I had installed NONE of the rooted ROMs. This all takes a couple of minutes.

Now the NEW update.zip from this thread will install right over it, with NO Problem!

Results? So far this "new" FRG01B seems smoother.

14. hasbrobot

hasbrobot Well-Known Member

Wow you are right , the phone was fine before and I didnt notice any bugs like everyone else was having but decided to do this to get the latest version. I was rooted with easy root and did nothing else to it, so I applied this. It updated fine and I rerooted with easy root again. Now the Phone flies like a rocket their seems to be a very obvious difference from the first version, Thank You :D

15. vwarnick

vwarnick Member

Rooted my phone using Easy Root. Nice program by the way.

You say:
    Now the NEW update.zip from this thread will install right over it, with NO Problem!

Which file is the NEW update.zip? Sorry, just want to make sure before I go any further.

16. pbstar081

pbstar081 New Member

new to this so i just wanna make sure this is the newest update for 2.2 here is what i have

Model Number = Droid
    Android Version = 2.2
    Baseband cersion = c_01.43.01p
    Kernel version = 2.6.32.9-p103d848android-build@apa26 #1
    Build number FRG01B

I have found this to be pretty glitchy.. esp while running the sirius xm app and while playing flash games..

17. pman555

pman555 Active Member

Rotorpilot, this seems to be my situation. I forced the 2.2 update and now i do notice some issues with my phone. I want to get the new 2.2 but do not want to root my phone. After using this Easy Root, then installing the new 2.2 files in this thread, will my phone still be rooted?

18. vwarnick

vwarnick Member

19. pman555

pman555 Active Member

OK then, follow up question:
    The zip file i downloaded from this thread, do I just rename it update.zip and then transfer it to my SD card and install it like I did the first 2.2 update?

20. vwarnick

vwarnick Member

That I don't know. I've asked the same question.

21. pman555

pman555 Active Member

I think that is the solution. I opened up both zip files (The update.zip I previously used, and the .zip file i downloaded from this thread) and the folders and files inside seem to look alike. I'm gonna go ahead and try it out.
    I'll let you know what happens.

22. vwarnick

vwarnick Member

Cool, can you also tell me which file you downloaded? I don't see one in this thread, but do see several on
    Peter Alfonso Thanks

23. pman555

pman555 Active Member

vwarnick, I just used Easy Root to root my phone, it cost $0.99.
    Then, i renamed the zip file in this thread to "update.zip"
    Then, i transferred it to my SD card, via the USB cable.
    Then followed the normal manual update instructions. Turn on the phone holding the physical X button, etc. etc.

It seems to have worked just fine. Plus, my phone isnt rooted anymore.
    Flash 10.1 still isnt on the market however...any idea where I'm supposed get it?

24. pman555

pman555 Active Member

25. vwarnick

vwarnick Member