Installed MR2, but can no longer install certain appsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. davbak

davbak Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I installed MR2 a few days ago rather than waiting on the OTA update. Now I can't download a couple paid apps from the Market that I had previously paid for. WeatherBug Elite is one of them, it doesn't even show up when I do a search in the Market.

Some searching turned up a similar issue on other HTC devices on another carrier, something about an OS foot print? Is there a way to get around this? It's pretty obnoxious.

Advertisement
  2. yankeeboy

yankeeboy Well-Known Member

I am having the same issue...cannot find Calorie Counter anymore. Had this same issue when I first had the phone, but it fixed those issues....it is a developer thing, they need to make the app available to all the different build types, and might not have added this build. However, its really annoying to keep losing apps

3. davbak

So I e-mailed PicSay Pro since that's one of the apps that is not showing up for me, their response:

4. ludist210

ludist210 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, davbak. I was wondering why a bunch of paid apps and games weren't showing up (like Pac-Man, de Blob and Bust-a-Move), but that clears it up.

5. davbak

No problem. I would suggest everyone with this issue go post it on Google's forum (linked above) to report it.

6. ludist210

ludist210 Well-Known Member

Done and done.

7. davbak

So everyone should call HTC too. They're playing dumb on the issue and acting like there's not a problem.

866-449-8358

8. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

Same for me. Dang annoying! I used Calorie Counter everyday.

9. davbak

Finally got through to a VZW tech that was willing to try to duplicate the problem. They were able to duplicate the problem, of course, but they have no solution and no way to contact Google about it, outside of Google's support forums.

This is so stupid.

10. I contacted HTC via e-mail about this issue a couple days ago, and finally just got a response. They lay the blame at the feet of the software developers (app writers). Of course they do, wouldn't want them to have to take responsibility for anything. It's easier to just blame Google or the App creator instead.

11. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

Well we know that's crap because the apps were working just fine before the OTA and they were only minor changes.

12. davbak

Here's what HTC said in their reply to my e-mail case...

Verizon conferenced me into an HTC tech, but the only suggestion the HTC tech had was for me to call Google's corporate headquarters. Idiots.

13. There are too many cooks in the Android kitchen. Say what you will about Apple and the iPhone... but you don't have issues like this over 'there'. One company controlling the hardware and software creates a simpler 'ecosystem'. *shrugs* It had to be said. And please don't call me an Apple fanboi, I dont own a single Apple product nor have I ever. I'm just calling it like I see it. This is annoying and frustrating and it should NOT be an issue.

14. davbak

I understand there kind of has to be three cooks in the Android kitchen and I think it's fine to have each entity handle what they do best from a support stand point. The problem is there doesn't seem to be an open line of communication with Google and the other two entities.

For an HTC or VZW support rep to NOT be able to relay or escalate a known issue that is affecting many customers back to Google is just a gaping hole in the support process.

I switched over to the Eris from a BlackBerry. When I had a problem with my device that VZW couldn't answer or determined was a RIM issue, VZW would conference me in with a RIM support tech and we would all three work through the issue. Usually it turned out to be a more widespread issue that was affecting many RIM users, but it was just emerging and no on realized it was a widespread issue...very similar to this scenario we're in now.

I noticed my corporate VZW rep was carrying a Droid when I met with him this week, so I think I'll hit him up and see if he has any tips on pushing this through some sort of escalation process. I hate doing that with my personal device, but he may be interested to hear how it's played out anyway.

15. davbak

This appears to have been resolved this afternoon.

16. Yes. Resolved this afternoon -- "for now". Until the next update. Then it'll likely happen again, until Google fixes the market so this isn't a continual issue.

17. davbak

Yeah, watch the rumored update drop tomorrow and we're back to where we were. My mission now is to figure out a way to back up my copy-protected apps!

18. I just refuse to spend any more money on apps until Google reassures the community this won't happen after every single software update that is pushed to our phones. Its annoying when it happens to 'free' apps, but its disturbing when it happens to something I've spent my hard-earned money on -- even if thats only a handful of dollars here or there.

19. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

Here here- right there with you!