• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help installed wrong carrier firmware

oshaguar

Dec 29, 2010
Hi guys. So I tried manually updating the software for my phone using the firmware from huawei website. Unfortunately, by being a rookie, I did not notice that this firmware was for a different carrier (cricket) and I am on MetroPCS.

I did this by copying the dload folder onto my micro SD card and then doing a software update via SD card. It was successfully installed. However, since it is for the cricket carrier, now my phone won't connect to anything, and I can't do anything with it. It shows a constant message that states:
"Sorry!

The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. " (force close)

I write this thread to:
1. warn future users to not do this software update unless you are on the cricket network.
2. Also would like to know if anyone out there is able to get the correct (Metro PCS) dload folder so that I can install that software back in my phone.
3. To know if there is anyone out there that can fix my problem

I also noticed that my phone reads "unknown" for my baseband version. This should have numbers on it.

If it's true that people out there that have their Huawei Ascend phones rooted, why can't they simply create a backup ROM to their SD card that can easily be shared with everyone else? Also there is an Application out there "AndExplorer" that will allow users (even if their phone is not rooted) access to all of the folders inside their phones. I actually tried, but could not find any recovery file. I found all the files and tried to zip them all and rename it so the phone could be tricked into installing everything, but nothing worked.

Upvote 0
If it's true that people out there that have their Huawei Ascend phones rooted, why can't they simply create a backup ROM to their SD card that can easily be shared with everyone else? Also there is an Application out there "AndExplorer" that will allow users (even if their phone is not rooted) access to all of the folders inside their phones. I actually tried, but could not find any recovery file. I found all the files and tried to zip them all and rename it so the phone could be tricked into installing everything, but nothing worked.

Because rooted people can't do that. If it were that easy, if would have already been done since so many people need it . They need to get the recovery ROM from the manufacturer, which is very hard.

Upvote 0
I was under the impression (am I wrong?) that they did come up with a way to flash back to stock:

Huawei Ascend - Flash Back to Stock - xda-developers

The 1st post is for METRO and the 2nd for CRICKET. (pay attention)

I have not tried it yet but will if 2.2 does not update for me.

Robb

They did come up with a way to flash back to stock for Metro? Also, the update for Cricket will work fine and be successful if you haven't uninstalled system apps.

Upvote 0
:):):)GOOD news guys. It works the XDA developer forum method posted by Robbdoe1 actually works.:):):) If only I would have seen it sooner.

Follow the instructions exactly as it says. remember to fire up the .bat file, not the .exe file. Now I have two phones that I love:)

Once again thanks semyazza and Robbdoe1 and the guys that came up with this method. ( a round of applause please )

On a side note. Do not get METROguard. It is a waste of money.

Reactions: Jazziette
Upvote 0
So for those of you looking for a recovery ROM for Metro PCS for your Huawei Ascend this is it. :D Even if it isn't, It will do what you want it to do
( restore the phone to the way you got it out of the box)

Next Project: rooting the phone.

Moral of the story.

1. Pay attention to the firmware version that you are installing.
2. Be patient. If you are, someone will come up with a solution to your
problem.
3. Don't buy that MetroGuard insurance.

Upvote 0
:):):)GOOD news guys. It works the XDA developer forum method posted by Robbdoe1 actually works.:):):) If only I would have seen it sooner.

Follow the instructions exactly as it says. remember to fire up the .bat file, not the .exe file. Now I have two phones that I love:)

Once again thanks semyazza and Robbdoe1 and the guys that came up with this method. ( a round of applause please )

On a side note. Do not get METROguard. It is a waste of money.

You are welcome but all I did was provide the link. One of the forum members (???) pointed me to that site about a week ago and I noticed the Metro instructions. There is a ton of good info here.

I forgot who provided the link cause I spent the last week reading every thread in the forum. Lol. Starts to become a blur.....

Robb

Upvote 0
I need help.

I updated my girlfriend's Metro Ascend with a Cricket update. I tried to follow the XDA-Developers method, but I can't get it to work.

I extracted the files on my harddrive. Pluged in the phone to USB. Turned the phone off. Entered Fastboot using volume down/end call/power. Then my PC pops up the "new hardware wizard". I cancel that, then double click the windows "bat" file. A DOS window opens that says "waiting for device". What do I do then?

She is really angry at me and I would love to fix her phone. If you could help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I need help.

I updated my girlfriend's Metro Ascend with a Cricket update. I tried to follow the XDA-Developers method, but I can't get it to work.

I extracted the files on my harddrive. Pluged in the phone to USB. Turned the phone off. Entered Fastboot using volume down/end call/power. Then my PC pops up the "new hardware wizard". I cancel that, then double click the windows "bat" file. A DOS window opens that says "waiting for device". What do I do then?

She is really angry at me and I would love to fix her phone. If you could help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

I wouldn't cancel that New hardware wizard. For the record I am running XP on my computer. By the way be patient. It takes a little while, but it works. The DOS window opens up so that's a good sign. Do it like 5 more times. Even if you plug in your phone with the other firmware in it, your computer should still recognize it.

Upvote 0
@Joser116- I tried that with my Huawei M860 since I made the same mistake Oshaguar made and the message came up "Firmware update step 1/2 Unpacking" then under that the warning yellow triangle and msg "update failed".

I guess nothing will work except the recovery update from Metro : / What's the hold up?! lol

Thank you.

The send key, not end key. End key is for updating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones