• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Installer installs and deletes, unable to update to 2.1..

momentoid

Android Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2009
US of A
Using Windows XP SP3, USB1.x, CCleaner Registry, USBDeview.

I have been trying for a week to update the phone from CJ05 to 2.1. "USB device not recognized" is the message when the phone is put in Download mode and connected to laptop.

I have deleted all Samsung/Android drivers and used the installer (tried both CL14 and 2.1). Using CCleaner Registry tool, I noticed that the installer copies C:\Program Files\Common Files\Samsung_Mobile_USB_Driver(V5.2)_V1.2.1060.0.exe and deletes it at the end, and claims successful installation. I overcame this by quickly copying the file and pasting it back after the installation process. However, I don't know if this matters, but the following three issues still appear after installer completes:

=> Unused File Extension .tar HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.tar
=> Old Start Menu key Phone Flash HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\Phone Flash
=> Old Start Menu key Samsung HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\Phone Flash\Samsung

The menu entries do exist in Start Menu, don't know what is Start Menu2.

Also, I have been unable to delete some Android entries in the registry even after uninstalling all Samsung/Android software. Wondering anyone with deeper knowledge of Windows XP SP3 Registry could help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones