installing a nandroid bu

Last Updated:

1. bsems1000

bsems1000 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hey all.. i have installed UD8 for about a week now. But ever since I have flashed some kernels (slayers 1100lv, chevys 1100 lv, p31200) I have not had the stability nor the quickness that the original 800 stock kernel gave.

I made a nandroid backup b4 flashing those roms..so my question is this: Do i have to wipe cache/data before i flash my nandroid backup? Or can i just flash it w/o doing any extra steps?

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

nope.. I have never wiped cache or data to do a restore of a backup ROM. I see no reason since you are essentially killing off the current data and cache and rolling them all back to the moment in time when you made your backup. I just flash back..

just understand that means you can loose data and settings to apps & the system and such as your rolling back. so if you did tweaks since then, they will be undone.

this exact fact is why I make about weekly nandroid backups so the roll back will not be as painful to just go back 7 days or so in time.

bsems1000 likes this.
  3. bsems1000

bsems1000 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

yea..i havent don any changes reaaly..bsides a few system n security settings. nothing painful to go n chamge again. thnx.

sorry 4 the spelling n abbreviations. got a baby in 1 arm!

4. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

I just got done doing a nandroid bu and I didn't wipe anything before hand. It took my system back to exactly how it was earlier today before I flashed UD8. The good thing about not having to wipe cache or data is that you don't have to initialize your phone from scratch again. However, I wouldn't suggest skipping the wipe when switching from one ROM to another.

Kratos

5. triplecrown

triplecrown Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised there isn't more discussion on this. I've actually restored a backup only a handful of times since I've been rooted (guess i've been lucky). I had the same question myself a while back and wanted to see what would happen if I wiped data/cache before a restore thinking I would have to start from scratch again. After the wipe and restore everything was back from that original restore (apps, data, homescreen setup, etc...). That led me to believe that if I had to restore a backup because something was corrupt, it might be better to wipe before restoring. The con being that it rolls back all your data to that point and having to update a lot of apps and redo tweaks if that backup is from a while back. This is why I make a backup everytime I change something or after a few updates from the market.

Now this brings me to another thing. Everyone says to wipe data/cache when switching to a new rom. I am a huuuuge believer in this. Hell I always wipe even when it's just an update to a rom. It's almost a surefire way of preventing a lot of bugs. What I'm getting at is that wouldn't it be a good idea to wipe data/cache before restoring backup of another rom?? For example, I am running Sapphire and wanted to restore a backup of Cyanogen. Techically I'm flashing a new rom to my phone so I'd definitely want to wipe. I could be completely wrong with all my assumptions here but there's nothing wrong with playing it safe.

6. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

From what I can tell, when you restore a back-up, it's actually wiping and restoring your cache and data. Thus it would not be necessary to wipe your data and cache before hand as it is already being wiped as your restore the backup.

Kratos

7. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

Bingo...