1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Installing a new microSD card

1. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Well-Known Member

I just got a 32GB card for my Evo, but before I mess up anything, I want to make sure I understand what I've read before.

To switch the cards, all I need to do is copy the contents of the old card and then paste them onto the new card? Is that it?

Do I need to paste them on the new card before I install it in the phone, or can I put it into the phone blank?

If there are apps or "system" type settings on the old card, all of that gets copied too? Nothing needs to be created on the new card from scratch?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

Drag and drop using a computer and the usb cord. Just make sure to use the phones menu to format the new card after inserting it before loading stuff.

Some people, myself included, found that custom ringtones assigned to certain contacts lost the link. Just have to redo that.
    melissapugs and JohnJSal like this.
  3. JohnJSal

Where is the option to format it in the phone?
  4. kumite

kumite Member

At home screen Menu>Settings>SD & Phone Storage

Scroll down for option to format Sd card
    JohnJSal likes this.
  5. JohnJSal

I noticed in the settings that there is an "Unmount SD card" (for safe removal) option. Do I need to use this before taking it out?
  6. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

It can't hurt, but I think that's more for the phones that you can access the card and remove it with the phone on. The Hero is a good example.
  7. JohnJSal

The installation went fine, but the option to format is grayed out. Do I need to have the phone plugged into my PC and/or in disk drive mode to do this?
  8. TamTamIam

TamTamIam New Member

Select the option to unmount and then directly select the format option when it appears available.

I realize this is an old thread but I had a hell of a time trying to figure out a situation with my new SD card recently in which this trick came in handy.