• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Installing Android on a non Android device

Hello everyone. I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Please feel free to move it to where it's best suited.

I don't currently own an Android powered smart phone, but have been playing with the emulator on my PC for a while.

My brother recently bought some generic touch screen MP3/video players (PMP devices) off eBay. They look like an iPod Touch, and have a very similar interface, and I was wondering if I'd be able to flash these devices with Android instead?
If so, how would I go about doing this?

There is a way to dual-boot Android on a WinMo 6.5 device. There's now apparently a way to put Android on an iPhone 2G. There's even a port of Android for x86 devices (i.e. for your netbook/laptop/etc).

But what you're asking for would, uh, seriously not work. It's not just software that can be installed on anything. Most likely it would require shitloads of coding, porting, and reworking the drivers. Short answer: no, you can't, unless you're willing to do all the work yourself (especially since I'm guessing the MP3 player in question is some variation of Chinese iPod knock-off).

Upvote 0
Sorry this post is a little old. But like the guy above stated, installing android onto a device with out android on it. regardless of the device. How would I go about it? I'm willing to put in work to make it happen. I know it's not as easy as installing and running it. With all that said, where do I start, and how do I make it happen? Any advice, tricks, tips, or straight up facts would be awesome.

Upvote 0
There is a way to dual-boot Android on a WinMo 6.5 device.
Interesting. I just got a new phone for free a couple weeks ago since my pops was adding another line and figured we should take advantage of it. We're on T-Mobile and the HTC HD2 was recently released; I would've gotten that one instead if it was Android-based and if I knew how to run Android on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones