Installing Android on a reasonably cheap HTC phone

Last Updated:

1. hoppipolla

hoppipolla Member This Topic's Starter

Hiya all!

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice for my possible plan of grabbing a fairly cheap (under

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

3. hoppipolla

Thats a good suggestion although I would probably have to get it sim free (pricey) or unlocked myself (probably difficult :( ). Its a good bet, but thing is I want to use my phone on 3.

4. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

I think it may be unlocked already but if not , it only costs like a tenner anyway :)

5. hoppipolla

oh ok cool, and yes the Pulse does look like one of my best options :) Will it auto-update to android 2/2.1? Or?

6. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

If and when an update is available it will be pushed to your phone so basically you will receive a pop up message on your phone and all you have to do is click download.

You'll know if an update is being rolled out because it will be on the news sites like phandroid ;)

7. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

I don't THINK that the Pulse will get an OS update - I'm not sure if it has the memory that is needed for OS2.x

8. hoppipolla

Ah I see that's a shame :(

So, I won't get the option on a Pulse you don't think? Maybe I should consider getting one more likely to be compatible...

So, where do these updates come from? Is it my network or Google? I'm guessing it's not the phone manufacturer... thing is if I install Android on a phone myself, I take it that will make updating to 2 (for example) tricky or impossible?

Sorry, I know desktop Linux well but I'm a TOTAL noob to all this Android stuff ^_^

9. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

As I understand it, you'll have trouble installing Android on another device as you won't have drivers for screen, radio (telephone), etc.

OS updates are a bit hit and miss it seems. Those people with non-network branded manufacturers devices (HTC, Motorola, etc) ought to get OS updates direct from the manufacturer. Those of us with network branded devices (mine is a T-Mobile G2....sames as an HTC Hero) have to wait for the network to decide whether or not to provide the update and for them to send it to us. Might happen, might not.