installing apps on external micro-SD not available on 4.0?

1. mcf57

mcf57 Well-Known Member

I have several android devices with varying Android operating systems. Some with 3.x, some with 4.0 (ICS) and a Nexus 7 tablet with 4.2 (Jelly Bean). Our son's Nabi 2 (8GB) tablet has 4.0 ICS installed and everything works good. However, I was looking to try and possibly install apps on the external micro-SD card. However, a poster on another forum informed me that moving or installing to an external micro-SD card is a feature that was taken out of Android ICS and Jelly Bean OS and it can't be done at all. Is this true?

I realize this Nabi 2 device can be rooted, but its working fine the way it is. Or is rooting it the ONLY way to be able to move and/or install apps on an external micro-SD card?

Advertisement
  2. Davdi

Davdi Well-Known Member

I have an ICS generic Allwinner tablet with a 16GB micro SD card and apps install to the card just fine. Some I've used the native 'Move to SD card' functionality, and some I've linked via Link2SD app. The tablet came rooted from the factory with Busybox pre-installed.
    Also on my Xperia U and N7 I can install to 'internal memory' on ICS and JB respectively.
  3. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

Not familiar with your device, but you can move apps 2 external sd fine on 4.0+. Although some apps won't function correct if you do.