• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Installing Apps On Sd card

http://androidforums.com/desire-tips-tricks/160560-force-apps-install-sd-without-root.html

Just follow the original tutorial.
Not the updated one for HTC.
Also adb.exe is located in platform-tools now.

Followed procedure, but can't load the adb devices part..both in the following folders: platform and tools.
Fyi, when i ran sdk, it performed "fetching..." procedures which were unsuccessful and had to hit the close button on the window, then it returnd to sdk main screen.
Usb debug automatically sets when i connected the phone prior to starting the sdk. Didn't turned on Usb storage. Have kies 2.+. PC already recognizes my phone prior to this (had already transferd files)
Anything i missed or did wrong?

Upvote 0
do no open kies while connecting the usb cord.
would you like a step by step tutorial?

Hey praky,

Thanks man for your assistance! Would give it another shot first.

I think the problem was that the "fetching" process (this is the Android tool download and install process) will download and install the platform-tools, etc.. And it failed earlier. Here is the note on the SDK folder file named "adb_has_moved":

"The adb tool has moved to platform-tools/. If you don't see this directory in your SDK, launch the SDK and AVD Manager (execute the android tool)
and install "Android SDK Platform-tools"

Please also update your PATH environment variable to include the platform-tools/ directory, so you can execute adb from any location."

I am currently downloading and installing it now. Wheew...would take more than 1 hour.

Will post if there will be issues I would encounter along the way.

Edit: One thing I'm not quite sure about is the 2nd paragraph where we have to update the path environment. How to go about this??

And in here is where the adb is.

Upvote 0
do no open kies while connecting the usb cord.
would you like a step by step tutorial?

Hey praky,

Thanks man for your assistance! Would give it another shot first.

I think the problem was that the "fetching" process (this is the Android tool download and install process) will download and install the platform-tools, etc.. And it failed earlier. Here is the note on the SDK folder file named "adb_has_moved":

"The adb tool has moved to platform-tools/. If you don't see this directory in your SDK, launch the SDK and AVD Manager (execute the android tool)
and install "Android SDK Platform-tools"

Please also update your PATH environment variable to include the platform-tools/ directory, so you can execute adb from any location."

I am currently downloading and installing it now. Wheew...would take more than 1 hour.

Will post if there will be issues I would encounter along the way.

Edit: One thing I'm not quite sure about is the 2nd paragraph where we have to update the path environment. How to go about this??

Upvote 0
Hey Praky,

SUCCESS!!!

To all of who just downloaded the latest sdk from the link:

the platform-tools folder is not integral in the zip file you downloaded. You have to update your SDK to have it.

Now, suggest you create a folder on drive C: name it Android or anything.
Move the sdk zip file to this folder. Extract it also there.
Run the sdk manager.
After running, the manager will fetch updates for it, make it finish. The updates will be displayed on the left side of the window.
You will have the option to either ACCEPT or REJECT it once you click on a particular update. The option is on the lower middle part of the window.
Since it would take you LOTS of time to download and install ALL. I suggest to just choose:

Android SDK Tools, revision 11 (if your downloaded zip file has r11 on it)
Android SDK Platform-tools, revision 5
Documentation for Android SDK
SDK Platform Android 3.1, API12, revision 2
SDK Platform Android 3.0, API11, revision 1
and all updates concerning Samsung

After downloading and installing these updates. Do not close the SDK manager.
On PC, click Start, on the search pane, click cmd, then enter. Command prompt will open. Type the following on the cmd prompt:

cd.. (enter)
cd Android-sdk-windows (enter)
cd platform-tools (enter)
adb devices (enter)
adb shell (enter)
Note: a $ sign should pop up

then type:
pm setInstallLocation 2
Note: Another $ should pop up

And your done. Close everything, disconnect phone, turn off phone and then turn it back on again.

Done!

As posted in the thread:

"Current apps on phone will mostly still be stored on the internal memory. This process doesn't move these apps for you, it adds the ability. So you must now manually move those already installed on the phone.

To do this, go to settings / applications / manage applications
Then you just click on an app, and the move to SD card box should no longer be Grey. So you must now move all the apps you want onto the SD Card.

Note: I would not advise moving apps like widgets, or anything system related. Furthermore, for example, I have the 3g watchdog app and the advanced task killer app constantly running, so it is advisable to keep apps like that on the internal memory."

Now, on how to install my downloaded zip HD games (from the vietnam site), I GUESS I HAVE TO ASK YOU ON HOW YOU DID IT PRAKY..:)
Will I just copy ALL the extracted game files to a specific folder on my SD card?? Then hit the icon to install?

thanks man!

Reactions: SJN
Upvote 0
Guys please help me...

I have an HTC chacha and I kept on getting the low memory message when trying to install apps (I have only 17.8MB on the internal memory and I am trying to download angry bird which is 25MB).

I installed SDK and ran the commands on this thread ( cd\
cd AndroidSDK\program-tools\adb devices\adb shell\pm setInstallLocation 2) without any problems. When I restart my phone and try to download Angry birds again it still says low memory. So I guessed it was still trying to install it in the internal memory since I have more than 12GB of mem in the SD card.

I then entered the following commands:
cd AndroidSDK\program-tools\adb devices\adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

But it still didnt solved the problem. Can You please help me on that? You can even pm me if necessary. Please it's been over a week Im trying to sort this out...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am Gingerbread BTW..~

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones