1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Installing apps, other than from market

Last Updated:

1. gezh

gezh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a technical issue which means I can't install from the market.

If there's an app I need, is there a way I get hold of the .apk file another way, and then install it after sending it to my email account?

Advertisement
  2. TheAndroidWorks

TheAndroidWorks Well-Known Member

absolutely, just send the file to yourself and click on the attachment from the email. It should download right to your phone where you can click on it. Then you can install it.

Try this one out: http://themobileworx.com/PhoneFraze.apk

3. gezh

Yes, thanks, I know that... but I was more thinking about actually getting hold of the apk in the first place! I know that some websites have their apk available for download, but not many. Is there a way of getting them from the market or elsewhere?

4. TheAndroidWorks

TheAndroidWorks Well-Known Member

Yes, I am not sure what you are trying to ask exactly. There are a number of alternative markets like slideme.org and handango's store.

I do not know of any sites that just have downloadable .apk's just so you have to manually push them to your phone. What are you getting at here? Are you in a country where you do not have the market available to you?

5. gezh

The issue was, I couldn't access the market because of the googlemail -> gmail switch. In the end I had to do a factory reset on the phone, so I'm back online again now.