1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Installing Astro File Manager without Android Market

Last Updated:

1. xchkthsoutx

xchkthsoutx New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone,

question: Is there a way to install apps without service to my Motorola Droid. See I have currently suspended my contract due to a deployment overseas. Obviously my Droid only works in the states, but I was wondering is there a way to install apps on my phone via usb and the inet connection on my laptop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Droid1
    Froyo 2.2
    Macbook pro OSX

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Not via USB but you can set up your laptop to broadcast its Internet connection as WiFi and the Droid can use that. Of course there is no need to do that if there is already a WiFi netwrok you can use in range.

3. xchkthsoutx

xchkthsoutx New Member This Topic's Starter

Tried setting up a network, but I think since I am using a Vodaphone aircard to connect to the inet, it won't let me set my laptop as a wireless access point. I'm fairly new to this, so I could be doing something wrong.

4. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Unless you ar eusing your laptop's WiFi to connect to the Internet you can always set up you laptop's WiFi card to broadcast the Internet the laptop is getting.

Laptop as an Access Point Videos

5. king_roach

king_roach Active Member

Hi, the last link doesn't work.

I have a similar problem.
    I've got my android.
    My only available wifi has proxy.
    Android doesn't support proxy settings.
    I need to first install Transparent Proxy to enable that so I can use my webs and use market.
    There is no file manager to install the apk.

If I use my laptop as an access point and link my phone to it, will it recieved the internet filtered by the laptop's proxy settings, or will I have to set up proxy settings for the phone as a separate devise because the laptop is no more than an access point/hub thingie?