• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Installing Jelly Bean

No need to do it twice. You will just be re doing everything the first one already did. Doing it before will work just fine.

Also, keep in mind there is no way to root yet, so if you plan on rooting make sure you do it while you're still on ics and back it up that way you can restore it once you flash jellybean.

Upvote 0
Well one doesn't even have a razr according to his profile... So....

But in all seriousness twice is overkill. I was on a .215 based rom and used the utility to get back to stock .211 then installed jb, which would be the same as doing a factory reset before installing. As long as you don't do anything to it after you factory reset then there will be nothing for the second one to erase. Hince its overkill

Upvote 0
Best bet is to fastboot back to .211 anyway. It doesn't work if you try to go from .215
If you use matt's utility, you'll have the option to retain root if you wish. might be a good thing to try just in case.
Jellybean Rolling Out for the Original Verizon DROID RAZR! **How to Keep Root** - DroidRzr.com
Read the ENTIRE instruction list, make sure you understand all of it, including the fact you CAN NOT go back to ICS after flashing this!!!!
I've been running this for a while now and its very solid, and I retained root as well.

Upvote 0
The idea is to start fresh, whether you do it before or after doesn't matter too much.

A lot of people who have problems haven't done a factory reset, same thing with the ics update. I started fresh with both updates and I have never had a single issue. Sometimes old files or stuff doesn't work right with new updates and it causes problems. That way if you do a factory reset you are fresh with no programs or files to mess anything up.

Think of it like a computer, you wouldn't do a complete os upgrade without starting flash right? Same thing goes with our phones, they are like mini pcs, that's what a lot of people don't understand

Reactions: BKline2003
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones