Installing Kernals with Rom Manager

Last Updated:

1. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I wanted to explore some of the different kernals in rom manager. LV vs MV, etc. Can I just install them on top of what I have? Do I have to remove a previous kernal some how, or just try them all out?

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

just try them out. Just make sure that they are for the rom you are trying them on.

3. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, you can just install them over the top of each other. They are, however, under the Cyanogen section so I'm not sure which ones are designed to work with other ROMs.

4. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

kernels for cyanogenmod will not work with other roms. You will get nothing but bootloops

5. tjreishus

yea, I noticed that. I did try one of them on the so called "stock 2.1" in rom manager and it seemed to work just fine. I don't know if problems will show up later though. I save a copy before I applied it so no big deal. I think I'll just keep trying them all out to see what happens.

6. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Many of the kernels are available as update files. Just put them in the root of your sd card, rename them to update.zip, and install using SP or clockwork recovery. They do not overwrite the rest of your setup. To avoid problem, return SetCPU to the default speed (600 0r 550) before installing. crank it back up when install completes.

tjreishus likes this.
  7. tjreishus

I ran into a problem with boot loop, then took your advice to put setcpu back to stock before installing a kernal and it worked fine. Thanks for that!

8. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

That is something I sometimes forget to do but yes it helps. I am going to start a thread on it.