Installing OTA Update On Rooted Stock/Custom Bootloader?

1. MegaVortex

MegaVortex Member

I am running rooted stock with CW recovery. Obviously, the OTA fails as I have a custom recovery. Is there a way to install the OTA and keep root?

Advertisement
    :
  2. MegaVortex

MegaVortex Member

I think basically I just need to go back to stock recovery, let the OTA update, and then root using the new method for ME7? I understand that I won't be able to have a custom recovery anymore, but I can live with that.

So... assuming the above is correct, how do I re-install the stock recovery?
  3. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

You 'Odin' back to stock. Google can help you more than I can, I've never done it, but this link will give you an idea of the process.
    How to install stock official Samsung Galaxy S4 firmwares with ODIN | NaldoTech

Alternately, you could flash one of the ROMs that are popping up that are based on the new firmware. The new ones are generally designated with an 'ME7' or 'VRUAME7' in the subject, which is the number of the current firmware (the previous version was VRUAMDK).

For instance, this ROM claims to be 'bone stock' for the current firmware.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2384362
    MegaVortex likes this.
  4. Unicorn512

Unicorn512 Well-Known Member

If you have full root and recovery then you best keep it. If you take the OTA, you will lose recovery and you will not be able to flash any custom ROMs.

BoneStock is great! During installation you can pick your "Aroma" by selecting which bloatware apps you do or don't want. It's fast, smooth, and has everything the latest OTA has.

At this time, with this phone, once you take the OTA you MAY NEVER BE ABLE GET RECOVERY AGAIN! There is a large bounty (over $5,000) to be claimed by whoever figures out how to get recovery after the OTA (or better yet, unlock the bootloader) but it's not an easy thing.

You should preserve your options if you can.

BoneStock gets five stars and 2 thumbs up from me!
  5. timelord65

timelord65 Well-Known Member

You can also flash stock ME7 and re-root. But as others have said, I'd just flash one of the ME7 roms such as darkslide or barebones rom. That way you get ME7 root and get to keep custom recovery.