Installing the Android SDK, Eclipse on Windows 7

Last Updated:

1. russellbateman

russellbateman New Member This Topic's Starter

After a week of frustration, with Eclipse crashing six ways from Sunday whether Helios or Galileo, I reached the conclusion that you cannot install Android for use in Eclipse JEE, my usual mode. Instead, use the plain Java Eclipse. My definitive (and separate!) installation became Eclipse Galileo SR2 IDE for Java Developers. I added these lines to eclipse.ini, though I probably did not have to be so generous:

Code (Text):
    2. -vmargs
    3. -Xms256m
    4. -Xmx1024m
    5. -XX:PermSize=128m
    6. -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
    In order to distinguish this version of Eclipse from my usual JEE development version on my task bar, I found an icon to graft onto it at Free Large Android Icons and selected one that looked most like the green Android icon.

Advertisement
    dlflannery likes this.
  2. dlflannery

dlflannery Member

First, thanks Russell. I've been looking at your "Companion Notes ..." , this should be very helpful!

I want to install (fresh) Eclipse and Android Development support on a Win7 64bit system and I'm confused about Eclipse packages.

One choice is 32bit or 64bit. My guess is 32bit might be safer for compatibility with other software components and the slight speed advantage of 64bit is of little concern. What are your thoughts?

The other choice is Eclipse package and other components. Eclipse web documentation said I needed an Eclipse SDK (not sure what that is exactly) in addition to the Eclipse IDE, while the Android web docs say get the "Classic" IDE. Your Companion Notes recommend the "Eclipse for Java Developers". Can you help straighten out my confusion here?

I understand I will also need the Java SDK, the Android SDK, and the Android ADT.

Kind of disappointing to hear of the Eclipse crashes but I guess there's no way around it if you want to develop for Android.

Also, does "bounce" mean "restart" ?

Thanks again for your valuable document.

3. russellbateman

russellbateman New Member This Topic's Starter

My article is over 6 months old and is becoming quickly obsolete. Let me answer the questions I can.

I think the Android SDK is a 32-bit thing, so you'll have to use Galileo 32-bit. That may have changed. I haven't really looked into this since last summer.

Yes, you need to use Eclipse basic Java IDE for Developers. Don't use the JEE package. You're supposed to use Galileo, but I think Helios works fine. This is also explained by the link below.

Yes, you do need to get a Sun JDK. I suggest you peruse Setting up Eclipse—Summary.

I haven't had the crashes on Linux.

Yes, by "bounce" I mean "restart."

Glad to help if I can.

dlflannery likes this.
  4. JamTheMan

JamTheMan Well-Known Member

Just to add to Eclipse madness...

After the newest release of the Android SDK and ADT it now works on Helios / 3.6, and can be installed via this update site:

https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/

And it works fine on both 32bit and 64bit.

It still looks like it has to be the "clean" Eclipse IDE, or at least NOT the JavaEE version - which sucks when you're also a web developer. PLEASE correct me if they finally fixed this - would make life SO much easier ;-)

5. dlflannery

dlflannery Member

:confused: The link doesn't seem to work. I get:

6. JamTheMan

JamTheMan Well-Known Member

#5 It's a link to an Eclipse update site, for installing the ADT plugin in Eclipse ;-)

7. dlflannery

dlflannery Member

By "...it works fine..." are you saying no more periodic IDE crashes as has been reported?