Instant Messaging and battery lifeGeneral

Last Updated:

1. cdjones

cdjones Member This Topic's Starter

On the ERIS is there any instant messenger client that doesn't drain the battery excessively ?

Advertisement
  2. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

I believe it is when you leave the app open and screen lock it that it drains the battery. I have to back out of the messaging app before I lock the phone or it drains it pretty quick.

3. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

the g talk app doesnt, and actually the newest e buddy with the feature to "save battery" works too. been using that and good luck with awake times as long as you back out of it.

I noticed too before I shut haptic off, that a lot of txting or messaging would run down the battery pretty fast.

4. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

I use eBuddy with the 'extend battery life' feature turned on.

Works great, unless I don't have 'Always-On Mobile' in my phone's settings, or if I go from Wi-Fi to Mobile at all. Then it has to re-connect. I'm online all day though, generally.

5. cdjones

Hmm..the ebuddy notice says that IM may be delayed by up to 15mins.

Does that not defeat "instant" messages ?

:eek:

6. mpaquette

mpaquette Well-Known Member

Google Talk doesn't drain my battery excessively. I stay connected to it 24x7.

7. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any of mine actually being that slow but if It's in the background I probably don't have my phone next to me anyway. Won't defend android on this but e buddy is a good alternative.

8. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Well-Known Member

Yep I'm a google talk user as well, it's pretty solid.

9. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

It will page for a new message every 15 minutes. So if you check it, with 14:59 until the next check, you might not get your message.

If you keep the app in the FOREGROUND, you'll get them instantly. In other words, if you leave the app opened, then put your phone to sleep right then, messages will be much faster, but you will drain battery way way faster.

It's a trade off. I leave it in the back if I'm at work busy or whatever, and am online "just incase". I wasn't going to IM them back right away anyway. If I WAS going to IM them right back anyway, and sit there and type out IM's, I'd probably have the app in the FOREGROUND anyway, which makes the IM's appear much more close to INSTANTLY. No problems with eBuddy here. It's to note that always-on Mobile is necessary to not disconnect.

10. cdjones

Thanks all. ebuddy seems ot be the best way to go.