Instinct to Hero

Last Updated:

1. troyboytn

troyboytn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Many of you previously had some variant of the Instinct., Just curious as to what your thought are. Personally, I feel there is no comparison as to what can be done on the 2. Instinct>media phone, Hero>smart phone. Trust me though guys, the problems some of you are experiencing on the Hero is only a tiny drop in the bucket of what early Instinct adopters went through back in the day. The Instinct turned out to be somewhat decent, but believe me, I'm not looking back. Hero to the rescue!

Advertisement
  2. revtime

revtime Well-Known Member

I agree the instinct is not even in the same ballpark as the hero. I liked the instinct but enjoying the hero much more. I have seen some little quirks with the hero but they are small potatoes. I love the customization with the hero and the apps are awesome. I can see me keeping the hero more than a year.
    Great phone, wonderful OS.

3. joe123

joe123 Well-Known Member

I had an Instinct - what a piece of shinola that phone is compared to the HTC Hero.

I can't believe how bad the Instinct was until now. Only had the HTC for 4 days and it is FANTASTIC in every way.

4. bobeink

bobeink Active Member

I'll be switching from an Instinct to the Hero in about a week. I've had my Instinct for a year now and I've been having issues with my sms messaging, deleted all my photos, sending the wrong photo's to my facebook/friends...glad I only have 1 week to go!

5. joe123

joe123 Well-Known Member

My instinct and about 5 other Instincts from friends of mine got progressively worse with each Instinct Firmware update.

Every Instinct "upgrade" fixed 10 bugs and introduced 30 new ones. Every application on my Instinct has issues. The phone really got progressively worse with time.

Even the Sprint Navigation is still buggy. Today, I switched from Sprint Navigation to Google Maps on my HTC Hero because the traffic data on Sprint Navigation is always wrong and outdated.

Sprint really needs to get the HELL out of software development.

6. UTnick

UTnick Well-Known Member

well, i occasionally had software problems with my instinct, but they were always fixed a few days later. my gf's instinct is a POS so she might get a Hero shortly, too. the biggest thing i miss about the instinct is the abiliy to tether it with just a short "hack." oh, and the e-mail actually worked better with the instinct. i know, blasphemous.

7. joe123

joe123 Well-Known Member

Yes.

About email, my Instinct imap email never worked correctly. Same email on my HTC hero works flawlessly.

The Instinct was a pretty good phone, but Sprint sh*ted all over it with their updates.

I was once connected to the VP of Sprint Navigation with bug related issues. At one point, I was having to explain to that person how software enginering was done. I was appauled at how little the guy knew.

A truelly amazing experience.

8. rixa001

rixa001 Active Member

I got an Instinct to upgrade from the Razr. I liked that it gave better accessories (and upgradable memory storage) and that my Sprint contract was cheaper than others. But no wifi, a crappy browser (used Opera instead), Sprint not renewing its Sprint TV services with Viacom, no flash support and limited applications handicapped the phone. I was going to wait until my contract expired to look into the iPhone.

But when I read that Sprint was getting an Android phone (HTC Hero), I checked it out. It already had me at wifi and the Android market. But because I could get the full upgrade discount AND they could bill me for the phone

9. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member

I opened my sprint contract on the instinct last week, I had it for for 2 days, and I just wasn't impressed with it. :(

It seemed very basic, and what really peeved me was the inability to even do a simple task like rotating pictures that you'd taken, before sending them to FB. Even my little motorola hint could do that (as well as crop, auto adjust, add frames, etc.)

Loving the hero WAYYY more!

10. Jaredr

Jaredr Member

I just made the instinct to hero switch last weekend and am beyond happy. The only good thing about the instinct is that the leather case fits my hero lol.

Only real problem I have had with the hero was the no sleep but I seem to have fixed that today by doing a reset and not installing a task manager. Seems to run fine now. I have a "streamlined" feeling using the hero compared to the instinct which just left me frustrated. It is great having a phone that you can actually use the internet on.

11. CitizenD

CitizenD Well-Known Member

There's really no comparing the two. Completely different animals. My Instinct was fine for what it did, though it was certainly laggy and froze consistently for a few weeks several months ago, but then cleared up. I didn't really have any problems with it, save its lack of features, which the Hero clearly has in spades. If only my Hero would stop being laggy. I've seen Heroes that run smoothly and mine isn't one of them, even after a hard reset and last week's software update.

12. dhinez

dhinez Well-Known Member

I didn't switch from Instinct directly to Hero. I actually went to Palm Pre for the hardware keyboard. But the lack of support and features I made my way to Hero. I was skeptical about the on-screen keyboard because my Instinct would lag tremendously. It would freeze and reboot on its own. Eventually my Sprint Navigation quit working. It was good for what it was and did what I needed it to but just in a slow and ****** way :rolleyes:. My Hero walks circle, jumps loops, and even does cartwheels compared to the Instinct.

Really no comparison: Hero>Instinct and HTC>Samsung.

Btw, I had the first version of the instinct (about 3 phones).