• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help insufficent storage problem

R

Raj Khadgi

My device doesn't have "move to sd card option". Instead it has " move to phone storage option". My device has internal storage of 1 gb and phone storage of 5gb and external sd of 16gb.i cant move apps to external storage. Apps can br moved from just internal to phone storage. Neither can i set my default storage to phone storage and not internal storage. Its annoying.the apps can't download and it always says insufficient storage.i have tried rooting my phone but it didnt work. Now it doesnt even have space to save the screenshots eventhought the internal storage shows 243mb left. Everytime it says storage in use. Please help

That storage model of partitioning the internal storage into a small area for apps and a larger "internal sd" was dropped by Android with version 4.0, which was introduced in 2011. However some low-end Chinese manufacturers carried on doing that for many years, perhaps still do. Since this must be more work for them (as it's not the default option) as well as worse for the user it's very hard to explain why they do this.

If you can't root it then all you can do is try to free up as much space as you can in the /data partition. Clearing app caches will help temporarily, but only temporarily. Uninstalling apps you don't use, disabling and clearing data for unused system apps (which you can't uninstall) are probably about all you can do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones