• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Insufficient Memory

Trying to install a new app & get a message stating there is insufficient message. Seen some suggestions -moving data / apps to SD card etc and have implemented some suggestions but don't understand WHY I still don't have memory available to me / my apps. Seen some references to rooting but don't see that is relevant here.

Also trying to check email and told insufficient memory again.

When I look in STORAGE it tells me :-

First
Total Space 788mb available 28.7 mb, apps 818mb ?? doesn't make a lot of sense
Second -
Internal Storage Total Space16gb , 9.25gb free, apps 1.7gb and MBs for other info. 9.25 is > 50% of 16gb also don't see 7+GB plus
Third SD Card
Total space 16gb , available 58.22gb ?? again doesn't make a lot of sense (it is 64gb)

Do I sort of have to allocate storage to utilise some or all of the 9.25GB ?

any help appreciated

Welcome to Android Forums, Peter. :)

First it would help to know which phone you had and what version of Android it was running.

We see this kind of question a lot and it's really just a numbers game played by the manufacturers. I am going to assume when you bought the phone, the specs said it came with 16GB. This doesn't mean you have 16GB to use. That 16GB is carved into several partitions and is also used to allocate memory space. From what you've described I am going to guess that your device has 1GB of RAM (which isn't a lot, by todays standards) as well as a system partition which would probably be around 2~3GB. Add to that your recovery partition, radio and boot partitions you can see where it would seem that a lot of memory/storage is unaccounted for. If you want to see what's really going on you can try the apps Storage Truth and RAM Truth in the play store (by our own @scary alien :)) A lot of the built in apps fudge the numbers so that may account for what your seeing (and why Scary wrote those apps)

Of course, your problem is you can't install apps, so let's deal with that first. ;) If you're using an older version of Android, then you probably have a fixed partition for app storage and you're hitting a wall. Android wants to maintain a specific percentage of free ram for processing and you've exceeded that. I would first go to menu>settings>applications and sort hem by size to see who the biggest users are. It may simply be a lot of old data and by clearing the app's cache you can free up a lot of space. You should also look at things like text messages and email. These are not stored under user data. They are in protected databases in the system partition and if they grow out of control they can cause problems. I've heard of log files doing the same thing, but let's keep to the basics first.

Because this happens with both email and installing a new app, I've got to think this is a space issue in your system partition.

Upvote 0
Welcome to Android Forums, Peter. :)

First it would help to know which phone you had and what version of Android it was running.

We see this kind of question a lot and it's really just a numbers game played by the manufacturers. I am going to assume when you bought the phone, the specs said it came with 16GB. This doesn't mean you have 16GB to use. That 16GB is carved into several partitions and is also used to allocate memory space. From what you've described I am going to guess that your device has 1GB of RAM (which isn't a lot, by todays standards) as well as a system partition which would probably be around 2~3GB. Add to that your recovery partition, radio and boot partitions you can see where it would seem that a lot of memory/storage is unaccounted for. If you want to see what's really going on you can try the apps Storage Truth and RAM Truth in the play store (by our own @scary alien :)) A lot of the built in apps fudge the numbers so that may account for what your seeing (and why Scary wrote those apps)

Of course, your problem is you can't install apps, so let's deal with that first. ;) If you're using an older version of Android, then you probably have a fixed partition for app storage and you're hitting a wall. Android wants to maintain a specific percentage of free ram for processing and you've exceeded that. I would first go to menu>settings>applications and sort hem by size to see who the biggest users are. It may simply be a lot of old data and by clearing the app's cache you can free up a lot of space. You should also look at things like text messages and email. These are not stored under user data. They are in protected databases in the system partition and if they grow out of control they can cause problems. I've heard of log files doing the same thing, but let's keep to the basics first.

Because this happens with both email and installing a new app, I've got to think this is a space issue in your system partition.

Apologies for the HUGE omissions.
I am referring to an Android Tablet with Android version 4..4.2.
The tablet is a cheapo Irulu Model 10 ( I don't use much, the sound jack is faulty and had these sort of problems before) but would like to use occasionally for book reading and checking gmail.
I don't (think) I have very much of anything. I have transferred anything I can to SD card. Cache has been cleared app by app. Email only 10's of emails (again don't use gmail much - main email is via Outlook on a desktop W10)

Upvote 0
One quick question, did the tablet come with 4.4.2 on it or was it upgraded? The reason I ask is that 4.4.2 (Kit kat) was the first iteration of ART (Android Run Time) and it allocates user partition space dynamically, BUT that was only if it was the primary install. If it started out as 4.1 or 4.2 (I think) it retained the static partition size.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
AS shipped

Hmmm, that is troubling. Do you know how to boot this thing into recovery mode? I'd try clearing the system cache from recovery.

If you uninstall some apps, can you then check for mail or install another small app?
I gave the exact same tablet to my son and it is extremely low on specs dept.. It's broken now or I'd be of more help.

Upvote 0
Still, It should be able to act and an e-reader and handle light mail.
Hi again.
Yes I purchased this unit to 'play' with a tablet. Used on holidays with USB/GPS and as reader plus gmail. Did the job.Have now deleted GPS software + some other smaller apps and have managed to access gmail (obviously have access via desktop). Will use as reader from time to time so guess have a solution now (though still baffled by the PROBLEM)

Have also now got ATOM, W10 tablet which (hate to say it) seems more user friendly.

Will take a look at Greenify

Many thanks for all responders - lunatic59 - never mind the name great help ~~~~~ what happened lunatic 1-58 ??

Upvote 0
Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
The problem is that this is a cheap, Chinese product. Built by a company with zero oversight, zero service, and zero accountability.
This is not Androids fault. It is partially Google's fault though. To aid in development they gave it to the world for free. It has been further de-developed by a few.

See my review:

http://androidforums.com/threads/review-irulu-expro-9-tablet-pc-25.1037384/
Understand your words but I purchased the product knowing it was a low end spec and it has done a job. I confess I wouldn't buy this one again though but perhaps needed the first purchase to know where to go next.
If this is a software problem then don't blame hardware manufacturers for producing a low spec , cheap product.
Surely if the 'software' messages and error reporting were a little clearer it would help enormously. Equally no one should expect hardware to go one working forever and still expecting all the latest software to work on the platform.

Upvote 0
lunatic59 - never mind the name great help ~~~~~ what happened lunatic 1-58 ??

59 was good year for lunatics. ;)

I purchased the product knowing it was a low end spec and it has done a job.

Most will "do the job" out of the box, but as time goes by and apps and expectations get updated, these low end devices almost always have trouble keeping up. The trick is finding the right mix of economy and features. For "budget" tablets, my wife and I use the Barnes & Noble Nook which is really a rebranded Samsung Galaxy Tab. They are very functional, and have kept up considering they only cost a little over $100. :)

Upvote 0
59 was good year for lunatics. ;)

Most will "do the job" out of the box, but as time goes by and apps and expectations get updated, these low end devices almost always have trouble keeping up. The trick is finding the right mix of economy and features. For "budget" tablets, my wife and I use the Barnes & Noble Nook which is really a rebranded Samsung Galaxy Tab. They are very functional, and have kept up considering they only cost a little over $100. :)

Many thanks again - glad I got a 'Good lunatic year'.
Barnes & Noble Nook - never heard of them in the UK - but will bear in mind

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Not sure if you can buy them direct there, B&N is a US bookseller that competes against Amazon and the Kindle. BTW, a Kindle Fire would be a cheap option if you don't mind rooting the thing and installing a custom rom. I picked one up during the holidays for $50 and it's a bit of work, but you end up with a nice cheap generic tablet. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones