• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Insurance? Extended Warranty?

What coverage are you opting for?

• Insurance

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Extended Warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both Insurance and Extended Warranty

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Neither I'm going commando!

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
I have never bought insurance before. But when I just got my Hero, and when I get my Evo next month, I opted for it. Over 5 years, I have now lost 3 phones and had a 4th break. Not the hugest deal with the crappy phones I usually had, but now that I am playing in the big leagues, it is just worth it to me to spend under a hundred bucks a year to know I can easily replace it.

Plus, since I have been paying nearly $120 a month to Helio/Virgin this past year, my bill with Sprint even with the extra $7 and soon $10 for 4G is still less than I have been paying

Upvote 0
Check with the credit card company you use to buy it. Mine automatically extends warranty for one year beyond the manufacturer's warranty at no charge, and includes 90 days of theft and accidental damage. I also hear that Square Trade offers good deals on extended warranty & insurance (covers accidental damage, $50 deductible, but doesn't cover theft) for $144 for 2 years of coverage ($6 a month).
Cell Phone Insurance Alternative | Cellphone Insurance Alternative | Cell Phone Warranty | Cellphone Warranty | SquareTrade Warranties

Upvote 0
It's worth every dime for Sprints insurance plan. I've called in for replacements numerous times due to scratched screens or various problems and they FEDEX replacements overnight. No fuss, no muss. Purchase it!

But as previous message said, do you have to pay the $100 replacement fee? Square Trade has $50 deductible, so why is Sprint's better?

edit: I now realize Square Trade only sends you the full value of the phone (up to $599) once in two years if you accidentally damaged it or it fails beyond repair. So it ends up costing $144 + $50 deductible=$194 to get a new replacement phone once. This compares to Sprint's $168 in 2 years + $100 deductible=$268 to replace it once, but you can replace more times if need be. But beyond one year, for those of us on Premier status, we can get a new phone after one year at $150 off. So beyond one year to cover accidental damage and theft, it doesn't seem to be worth it to get extended warranty/insurance (as Consumer Reports says).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones