insurance, water damage and radioshack telling me to lieSupport

Last Updated:

1. nintennuendo

nintennuendo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just dropped my phone in the bath while checking on my mom giving the new puppy a bath. forgot it was there. I called radioshack where I got the phone, he told me to tell sprint that I lost it, because sprint does NOT cover water damage. it turns out that the website never updated them that I bought the insurance, so either way it is moot and I'm sort of screwed. I haven't been paying for it and didn't notice until I tried to file the claim. I told sprint I lost it and I guess after a day if the phone works I'll just say a kind Samaritan called a friend and they gave it back to me. I immediately put it in a bowl of brown rice. all I had at the time. What are the odds that 1) my phone'll be working tomorrow or 2) I can be an angry customer hard enough that they'll send me a new one if it does not work and 3) that I can get the insurance if I get my phone working again? Is it even the best thing to do?

I didn't want to hijack that other thread so i piggybacked into a new one.

Advertisement
  2. eyeballer

eyeballer Well-Known Member

1) Did you pull the battery?? I would wait two days before trying to turn it on.
    2) Unlikely.. very...
    3) Too late to get insurance on it, you already reported it lost.

Sorry, but at this point you might be out of luck and have to pay for a replacement.

nintennuendo likes this.
  3. nintennuendo

I did take out the battery within a minute of it getting wet. I did not try to turn it on at all, so I'm at least that far competent. Enough being stingey: if it works, I'll get the best case and screen protectors. maybe a little safe.

4. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Why would they tell you to tell sprint you lost it? If you lose it, only insurance will get you a new one, and you obviously dont have insurance. Sprint isnt going to give you a new phone because you lost yours.

And fyi, the warranty through sprint only covers hardware defects, and is completely voided if the phone has any physical damage, or water damage.

If you pulled the battery out as soon as it happened, thats the best thing you can do. I would give it at least 2 days to dry out in rice, maybe another day drying out in the sun or outside.

5. nintennuendo

I guess I jumped the gun. I turned it on 24 hours after being in the rice and it works fine as far as I can tell. I've tried a bit of everything. music playing, 4g, wifi tethering. It all seems to work just fine.