1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Insurance?General

Do you carry insurance on your phone?

Poll closed May 7, 2010.
  1. Yes, I carry insurance.

61.5%
  2. No, I do not carry insurance.

34.6%
  3. I was not carrying insurance and lost or damaged a phone.

7.7%
  4. I've have had to file an insurance claim for a lost or damaged phone.

11.5%
  1. nedroid

nedroid Member

This is a poll of sorts to find out what the general feeling is about insurance. I had never carried insurance until my last phone but since it was a smart phone I decided to carry it for a few months. Then I forgot to cancel it and when I upgraded to my Droid my insurance was upgraded.

Along with the upgrade came a price increase and an increase in the deductible. Now my insurance costs me $6 a month plus tax and the deductible is $89.95.

I'm seriously considering canceling it. With the exception of one phone that I dropped into the dog's water bowl several years ago (and that phone recovered), I have never had the need for it.

The current cost of the insurance plus the deductible means that in a year the cost of replacing my phone will be around $165 (factoring in some tax). By that time I'll probably be ready for another phone anyway.

Any opinions?

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

IMHO, phone insurance is the biggest scam going. Unless you are completely a clutz and can't take care of yourself (like, my brother, insurance is perfect for him!).
  3. Shotgunx1x

Shotgunx1x Well-Known Member

Isn't the required data plans on almost all phones a bigger scam?
  4. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

+1. My iPod Touch was the first expensive portable electronic I purchased that I considered putting insurance on. I'm glad I didn't. Had it for over a year and the thing is in mint condition. If I did get insurance though, I would get one with a low deductible and brand new phone replacement and break my phone about a month before the insurance expired.
  5. nedroid

nedroid Member

Same with my touch. I have never had a screen protector on it and the screen looks like new. I've even dropped it once.

But there is one post on this forum of a shattered screen on an incredible--dropped from only two feet.
  6. nyjetsfan28

nyjetsfan28 Well-Known Member

Is insurance a scam? Probably...

BUT I don't at all miss/notice the $10 a month, whereas I'd really miss $539 or whatever it is if I broke my phone. ;)