• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you carry insurance on your phone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is a poll of sorts to find out what the general feeling is about insurance. I had never carried insurance until my last phone but since it was a smart phone I decided to carry it for a few months. Then I forgot to cancel it and when I upgraded to my Droid my insurance was upgraded.

Along with the upgrade came a price increase and an increase in the deductible. Now my insurance costs me $6 a month plus tax and the deductible is $89.95.

I'm seriously considering canceling it. With the exception of one phone that I dropped into the dog's water bowl several years ago (and that phone recovered), I have never had the need for it.

The current cost of the insurance plus the deductible means that in a year the cost of replacing my phone will be around $165 (factoring in some tax). By that time I'll probably be ready for another phone anyway.

Any opinions?

IMHO, phone insurance is the biggest scam going. Unless you are completely a clutz and can't take care of yourself (like, my brother, insurance is perfect for him!).
+1. My iPod Touch was the first expensive portable electronic I purchased that I considered putting insurance on. I'm glad I didn't. Had it for over a year and the thing is in mint condition. If I did get insurance though, I would get one with a low deductible and brand new phone replacement and break my phone about a month before the insurance expired.

Upvote 0
+1. My iPod Touch was the first expensive portable electronic I purchased that I considered putting insurance on. I'm glad I didn't. Had it for over a year and the thing is in mint condition. If I did get insurance though, I would get one with a low deductible and brand new phone replacement and break my phone about a month before the insurance expired.

Same with my touch. I have never had a screen protector on it and the screen looks like new. I've even dropped it once.

But there is one post on this forum of a shattered screen on an incredible--dropped from only two feet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones