• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Intellectual property and impersonation or deceptive behavior" issue

riagarwa

Lurker
Jul 1, 2014
Hi,

I have published an app where i am fetching public images from Flickr and showing them to the app user. Now user can browse through the images and set any of them as a wallpaper.

The images fetched the of Nature, Flowers, Birds, etc.

After 2 - 3 days i got an email form Google that my application has been SUSPENDED :(
Reason: "Intellectual property and impersonation or deceptive behavior"

I have tried various attempts by changing the app name, app icon, description etc but no success. Also, google never tell the reason behind such Intellectual property and impersonation or deceptive behavior violation.

I am finding it difficult to find out the root cause. Can anyone please suggest if they have also faced the similar suspension before and how did they resolved it.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi riagarwa, and welcome to Android Forums :)

I've moved your thread into the Application Development subforum, where I hope some of our resident developers may be able to provide some insight. I know Google can frequently be quite difficult to deal with on issues like these.

I would encourage you to consult Flickr's API Terms of Service to make sure your app is in compliance. If you charge money for your app, that makes it a commercial use, which is blatantly prohibited by Flickr's TOS unless you have applied for and been granted a commercial API key. Another point of concern may be section 1.b.iv, which expressly forbids you to "Cache or store any Flickr user photos other than for reasonable periods in order to provide the service you are providing to Flickr users." Setting a Flickr image as a wallpaper may violate this.

Of course, that's just how I read the TOS. Your app may not actually be in violation, but hopefully that gives you a starting point.

Good luck!

Reactions: riagarwa
Upvote 0
Hi codesplice,

Thanks for your response. I have gone through the Flickr API TOS.

- I am not charging any amount from the app users but yes i have integrated ads in the application. So will it fall into the "Commercial" category?

- Also, if i use the creative commons photos with the ads then am i violating any Flickr policy.

- Setting the flickr image as a wallpaper is still an area to explore.

I know there are application which is using all the public images with any licence from flickr with the ads integrated, setting image as wallpaper, Saving on sdcard etc. and are running well. For example "https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rdroid.HD_Walls".

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ritesh

Upvote 0
I have asked him and he is doing nothing different what i am doing. I remember that google has updated there compliance policy sometime back and i think for all the new apps before publish have to go through their strict compliance process. This may not to true for the already published apps, though this is just an observation.

My Bad :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones