intercept in the mail need to tether with itGeneral

Last Updated:

1. WarStoke

WarStoke Active Member This Topic's Starter

ok my intercept ordered from my sprint rep is in the mail as a replacement for my touch pro and i need a way to tether as ive still got pam on my account from an age gone by
    yes i know its rev 0 not rev a so it will take a speed hit but i didn't really notice much of a difference in speed when i upgraded from the Samsung ip830w to the mogul or from the mogul to the touch pro

Advertisement
  2. K4KAI

K4KAI Well-Known Member

There are a couple of TETHER apps on Market that will allow you the do a USB tether from your Androis Intercept. I haven't tried any of them yet because I still have a Blackberry Curve 8330 on my Sprint Everything Data account that does a wireless tether via Bluetooth and works exceptionally well. That feature is the only reason I still keep it active. It cost me a one-time fee of $50 to crackberry.com, and I have had no added fees from Sprint since.

Good luck, and let us know how you line the new Samsung Intercept.

3. andremike

andremike Active Member

Can't you use PDANET like on the Samsung Moment?

4. WarStoke

probly could but i usualy not a fan of pda net on the windows mobile front ive been a long time supporter of wmwifi router

5. gilbequick

gilbequick Well-Known Member

Ok I've gotta ask, what is "tethering"?

6. WarStoke

using the phone for the source of the internet for a computer

7. vbetts

vbetts Well-Known Member

As far as I know you cannot tether unless the kernel gives access to it. That's why tethering apps didn't work on the Moment until tethering was enabled on the Moment. Right now, there is no tethering on the Intercept.

8. travlear

travlear Member

Yes, you can tether with the Intercept!! I use PDANet and the stock USB cable that came with the phone. I set it up on a laptop running Windows XP SP3, but as long as you have the USB drivers it should work on VISTA/7. I downloaded PC Studio 3 from the Samsung website to get the USB driver (its free).

9. travlear

travlear Member

10. WarStoke

has anyone found a linux driver that works with these phones id love to be able to use easytether since its linux friendly i just need a samsung driver for ubuntu

11. comk4ver

comk4ver Member

So what kind of speeds does the intercept get? I'm a droid freak and I've convinced by brother to stay with virgin mobile to get android but I'm worried about how he's going to use it for ps3 online gaming. Ideas? Anyone else tried this?

12. harvickchick

harvickchick Well-Known Member

I use pdanet. It works wonders. I love it. And its free.

13. WarStoke

so far as i have found no way to use the intercept to get a ps3 online
    now with the 2.2 update on sprint you can use the hotspot capability now if i could find a way to get it rooted but z4root isnt working

14. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

You can use SlapKernel on SDX. It is allowing WiFI tether. Not sure if the PS3 will recognize it but it should work for the rest of your needs.

15. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Well-Known Member

So you can wireless tether on the intercept then? I ask because I am planning on getting an Ipad and Intercept for my mom and would like her to be able to wirelessly tether the ipad to the intercept. I assume that SlapKernel is a kernel you can flash to the intercept once rooted?

16. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

Yes the current version uses the SwUpdate software to apply the kernel and it seems to work well with wireless tehet 2.0.5 apk. Just look under 2.2 development on the SDX forum for the right file reference.