• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Intercept owner giving first hand info.

swrstock

Nov 21, 2009
Would love some Intercept owner to tell us how it is going.

Is Rev 0 slowing you down?

How does it do with youtube and sprint tv?

Is the resolution preventing any apps from working?

Screen plastic or glass? Durable or are you screen protecting it?

What cases are you using to put on a belt?

This phone seems like a great match for me since it is smaller than the evo and epic and does not carry the extra $10/month charge.

Your feedback would be a great help since I will have to live with it for the next 2 years.

I have an evo but I bought one fire my wife yesterday. She loves it but then again it its pink and that was her selling point. The screen to me is not very clear imo but to each their own. All the apps she has put on it seem to work just fine. Again having an evo it seems very slow with a lot of lag but she says it is just fine. Not sure if any of that helps. I was told it should get the 2.2 upgrade so that is an upside.

Upvote 0
I have only had it for less than a week now, and so far, so good. I like the pink color and etched design on the back case. I do not believe there are any screen protectors or cases out for it yet, which does concern me. I had a really cool Body Glove case for my Moment that had a clip and a "kick-stand" for standing the Moment up on a desk, etc., but there was a flaw in the design and after about a month the case (front or back) wouldn't stay on - ugh!

I have an InvisibleSHIELD for my Moment and because they don't make one for the Intercept yet, I took it off of the Moment and stuck it on the Intercept. It will do for now, and besides, I have to send the Moment back. Zagg (makers of InvisibleSHIELD) will replace the InvisibleSHIELD if you return the old one and pay $3.95 shipping & handling, so I wanted to keep mine for future exchange.

I like the phone - I'm not overwhelmed by it like I was with the Moment, but then, the Moment was my very first "smartphone." I get frustrated with some of the features not reacting immediately, like the reverse or undo button and the home button sticking from time to time. The browser seems to freeze, but it might be my connection. I have used the wifi and it does seem to work better.

I do like the QWERTY keyboard better than the Moment - it seems like the keys are either bigger or because they have a small space between them they are easier to maneuver - that is, once I learn the layout exactly as it is slightly different with the extra keys than the Moment.

Eh, it beats not having a phone at all. I am not sure what all of the hoopla is about the HTC EVO (did I get that right?), but since Sprint was replacing my defective Moment and offered this one at no extra charge, etc. ,(and the HTC was out of stock), I figured what the heck.

I am interested in reading others' opinions about this phone also.

Upvote 0
Yeah, a week later I am not impressed either. I agree with your wife except for one thing - my battery life sucks. It's as bad as the Moment was. I even called Sprint asking if they would consider exchanging this one for an Evo when it is back in stock. She almost laughed at me, so I guess I'm stuck for now. One thing - when the supervisor offered to replace my Moment with this one (asking if I would consider a different model) she never told me that she would also change my anniversary date from 12/09 to 07/10. I was really ticked when I got my little "you made changes to your account" notice in the mail! I immediately called Sprint and the rep was very apologetic - and nice - and changed it back. So (sigh), I guess I will just get another new phone in December when I'm eligible. So far, I don't think these "smart" phones are very smart at all . . .

Upvote 0
IMO it was never meant to be a top shelf phone, but I like it so far. It is a major step up from my old Blackberry Curve 8330.

-interweb speeds are ok. better than the curve
-potential upgrade to 2.2 should be interesting if it does actually happen
-didn't kill the battery today, so that is a plus.
-I really like the android interface. yes the buttons seem like they are a touch sluggish, however when I don't have anything to compare it to instead of a trackball, then I don't have much of a comparison to make. I am patient enough with it for now.

overall I like it... as an entry level smart phone. If I was going from something that was at a higher level I might have a different opinion.

Upvote 0
IMO it was never meant to be a top shelf phone, but I like it so far. It is a major step up from my old Blackberry Curve 8330.

Same here, I upgraded from an 8330 to the Intercept. This is really not a bad phone, and the most valuable app you can have is an app killer. That makes my battery last all day.

I got this phone for the price and because I desperately wanted to get down with the Android! I think I'm going to trade it in before my 30 day return period is up though and get an EVO, becuase I toyed with one over at Best Buy and now that I've had some touch screen experience, I think the larger screen on the EVO will be just fine for typing.

Upvote 0
My wife and I have had the phones for about three weeks now. Yes, the back button can be annoyingly slow sometimes.

I just did a speed test on it and it was 847 kbps down and 202 kbps up. I have never had a smart phone before so I do not know if this is slow for 3G.

Downloaded the Samsung drivers, added PdaNet and voila-I can now tether to my laptop. Fast enough for me to work from home with.

Now I am looking for cases.

All in all for $69, we are pleased.

-Photo by friend

Upvote 0
just got this phone for wife i have a HTC Hero i love it. but was cheap and wife loved my android phone and this was pink. looks nice and has a good feel but we don't have internet right now so we tether. her old phone a palm centro she used pda net. i cant get this phone to work i am a tech and i have tried it windows 7 vista and xp can it wont work works for 30 secs then dies then if i plug it back in it says usb not recognized i have tried both pda-net and easy tether. i use easy tether on my hero and windows vista laptop and xp net-book and have not problems. this is a deal breaker if i cannot get this to work any ideas? i have downloaded the usb drives for samsung from the net too. also i hated the fact that i had to download the sprint nav. the hero came with it loaded already. well anyways the tethering thing seems to be the biggest problem so far.. she loves the slide out keyboard and the big screen( compared to her centro's screen) the apps so far work just as good her intercept as they do on my hero like shazam and bofa and sprint nav. well tanks

Upvote 0
Same here, I upgraded from an 8330 to the Intercept. This is really not a bad phone, and the most valuable app you can have is an app killer. That makes my battery last all day.

I got this phone for the price and because I desperately wanted to get down with the Android! I think I'm going to trade it in before my 30 day return period is up though and get an EVO, becuase I toyed with one over at Best Buy and now that I've had some touch screen experience, I think the larger screen on the EVO will be just fine for typing.

i have the app killer and it def def def saves battery (unless of course you are on the phone with apps all day non-stop) but i always run it before puttin my phone back on sleep mode

Upvote 0
Snartman, it sounds like you may have hardware issues, and I would think about talking to Sprint to get a replacement. I bought the intercept for my wife and I set it up to tether using PDAnet. I have had zero issues with it, so I think you may have a bad unit. The only other thing you might try is doing a factory reset (be sure to do a back-up beforehand). Hopefully the factory reset will solve your problems, but if not I wouldn't hesitate to get Sprint to replace it for you.

Upvote 0

I've had the intercept since Friday afternoon and have had to charge it twice. I took it off the charger this morning and used it to send 2 text messages, sync gmail once and immediately turned it off and uploaded a picture to facebook and the battery is already down to 80%. I dont have anything on auto sync and have the brightness on the screen turned down. I saw that you were talking about an app killer. Would that help me in this situation? I like the phone, but I don't want to be charging it everyday.

Upvote 0
Bodyguardz makes a skin for it. Came out to $20 shipped for the full body one.

nickib said:
I have only had it for less than a week now, and so far, so good. I like the pink color and etched design on the back case. I do not believe there are any screen protectors or cases out for it yet, which does concern me. I had a really cool Body Glove case for my Moment that had a clip and a "kick-stand" for standing the Moment up on a desk, etc., but there was a flaw in the design and after about a month the case (front or back) wouldn't stay on - ugh!

I have an InvisibleSHIELD for my Moment and because they don't make one for the Intercept yet, I took it off of the Moment and stuck it on the Intercept. It will do for now, and besides, I have to send the Moment back. Zagg (makers of InvisibleSHIELD) will replace the InvisibleSHIELD if you return the old one and pay $3.95 shipping & handling, so I wanted to keep mine for future exchange.

I like the phone - I'm not overwhelmed by it like I was with the Moment, but then, the Moment was my very first "smartphone." I get frustrated with some of the features not reacting immediately, like the reverse or undo button and the home button sticking from time to time. The browser seems to freeze, but it might be my connection. I have used the wifi and it does seem to work better.

I do like the QWERTY keyboard better than the Moment - it seems like the keys are either bigger or because they have a small space between them they are easier to maneuver - that is, once I learn the layout exactly as it is slightly different with the extra keys than the Moment.

Eh, it beats not having a phone at all. I am not sure what all of the hoopla is about the HTC EVO (did I get that right?), but since Sprint was replacing my defective Moment and offered this one at no extra charge, etc. ,(and the HTC was out of stock), I figured what the heck.

I am interested in reading others' opinions about this phone also.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones