1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Interested in making apps.

Last Updated:

1. verdisQUO

verdisQUO New Member This Topic's Starter

Never programmed anything, but I'm interested into making apps. Anyone care to point me in the direction I need to start?

Advertisement
  2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Step 1:
    Go get the Android SDK downloaded and set up (hint: read step 2 first).

Step 2:
    Get comfortable with the Android Developer's Guide. Happy reading, there's a lot to read.

Although, if you've never ever programmed before, you've quite a challenge before you. Having said that, Java and Eclipse and Android is probably not the worst place to start, as you get the benefit of a lot of framework stuff and are 'fenced in' from the more dangerous mistakes. :)

3. verdisQUO

verdisQUO New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the info. Yeah I realize that this is going to be a challenge. A big one, but I'm up for it.

4. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

You may be interested in "Head First Java: Your Brain on Java - A learner's Guide." First learn java the 'real' way and then learn the android specific stuff.

The most important thing to realize is that you have to love solving problems and building on ideas. You can't just expect to memorize a bunch of stuff about computer syntax and poof! you're a programmer.

5. mkibrick

mkibrick Well-Known Member

My friend pointed me to this awesome website when I decided to learn Java: JavaBat. It has exercises you can run through and saves your progress. The guidance is very simple, so it you have no programming experience, it might take you longer to understand the logic behind the codes (like how if/else or for/while loops work). The Warmups provide one possible answer to help you get started. The exercises are very targeted and test one or two concepts in each and build off each other.

6. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

I should point out ideally you should first go through "head first HTML with CSS & XHTML" and then "head first javascript" as they teach programming at a more basic level. Also, it is important to know how to create a website no matter what you do.